RFD900 TXMOD vs Dragonlink

Sometimes you can get longer range with 915/868 than 433 because 433 is more noisy band.

Also a lot of components has interference on 433 band. As far as I know the problem with F765 controllers isn’t fully solved with dragonlink.
868/915 band is much easier to avoid any kind of interference.

That’s not the point … but with which system you get as far as possible when full Mavlink is required.

how do you no if you have not tried the system,you are implying that people are lying obviously you have a vested interest in down playing RFD

You are simply wrong … I’m just looking for a system with which I can fly 100 km with full Mavlink. However, I do not buy everything on suspicion but collect information, which system comes into question. And for this I need more info than has been mentioned here so far.

What information can you provide about the RFD900?

I certainly dont go 100km or need to go that distance but the few k i go compared to you the rfd works good im playing with here link and it only has small range but has features i like,dragon link may have range but is a right royal pain to set up with mision planner hence i sold my dragon link433 system im more than happy with my stuff and though i dont nee or require it am in the process of setting up a MFD mini tracker just to keep me occupied good luck with your research and i hope you get the 100 k you want

That is a reasonable statement / attitude from you. But the wishes for long range are just different than when you fly only at short distance. And if you look at the first post here, it is about long range.

Furthermore, as “proof” here only a reference to “Someone” came, where allegedly 70 km were achieved. This is simply too little information for me …

If someone really flies successfully long range (> 50 km with full Mavlink) with the RFD system, he should contact me. You don’t need to post logs publicly, there are also private messages here.

Hello Reinhard,

I should have been more specific about what “long range” meant to me. I wouldn’t expect to ever go more than 10km. Really the most important thing to me was the telemetry link, so that’s my fault.

-Patrick

1 Like

You can do 10 km with any of the mentioned systems. That is no problem at all.

1 Like

IMHO no one of those systems can do it in stock.

For 100 km you need really good directional antennas (with tracking system, possible)

Or you need something completely different, like gsm or satellite telemetry.

It’s my IMHO. Now I’m trying to fly 50 km distance. 100 km will be my next target. But the question what to choose for 100 is also interesting for me.

I’m not required full mavlink. Current elrs with yaapu script is completely enough for me.

@TheTroll , you need to read correctly … @ptuxbury wants to fly only 10 km and have Mavlink telemetry. You can do that with RFD, but also with Dragonlink or Crossfire.

I want to fly 100 km. That goes with Dragonlink, but I also want to have full Mavlink and will probably run short with either system.

I have a tracking system, but you don’t need it, because even a Yagi antenna has enough angle of beam at that distance. Of course you have to align the antenna before and then fly a mission with ArduPlane.

1 Like

Hi ptuxbury,
I am also exploring the same. I am yet to buy Express LRS. Normally I would plugin a separate Sik Radio 900Mhz telemetry Module for Telemetry(not sure if it is full duplex)
My question is

1. Does adding a Express-LRS doesn’t require plugin a telemetry module (both air and Ground,).
  2. I see people talk a lot about ExPressLRS low latency telemetry and all. I understand having a ELRS-Rx on quad and ELRS-Tx module on Joystick module gives you good RC for flying.
    But whatever telemetry ELRS Rx module (on quad) is transmitting is it reaching your Mission-Planner/Qgrnd Control?
    if yes then how?
  3. Full duplex telemetry to my belief is "just a notion in mind " . Any telemetry module would not exchange date more that 50HZ, (20ms for one mavlink request and response pair).
  4. So any one who has done ELRS with telemetry to Mission-Planner? Pls let us know
    Forgive If I have asked very basic question.

With ELRS there is no Mavlink, so you can’t do anything with it for Mission Planner.

In combination with RFD900, this is definitely a useful combination. However, one must then ask the question, why an ELRS if the RC connection can also run via the RFD900.

1 Like

I think I read somewhere that the lower latency systems (crossfire, elrs) cannot transfer as much telemetry data due to their high refresh rate. They are better suited for proximity FPV multirotor flying than long range fixed wing flight. I have an elrs system, but I only use that for my miniquads.

We are not talking about ELRS here, but you can certainly fly Long Rang Fixed Wing with it (30-40 km or more on 2.4 GHz). That is not the problem. But ELRS does not support Mavlink, so it is not suitable for the purposes discussed here.

With Crossfire Mavlink is possible, but you have to try a little bit to get Mavlink telemetry at longer distances.

With ELRS and Crossfire, the latency can easily be increased for long range flights, which is rather not the problem. The charm with ELRS is the LoRa functionality at very low cost with top performance.

With all due respect, the reference to “someone” was given when you asked them to share very specific screen info in regards to their 70+km achievements…and then it was stated that wasnt shareable info within the public realm…you state you cannot go off of unverifiable info with reference to your purchase…thats understandable as your morals may prevent it along with practicality. But basically calling somwone a liar is absurd as well simply bc they state inabiity to share publicly…how do you know that it isnt proprietary test work that the poster is bound by contract NOT to share? How do you know the poster doesnt feel comfortable sharing that info beyond that as any one of us on here, including you, could have nefarious intentions? After all the poster was merely stating that he/she happens to personally know that the system is capable of such distances…and not that they cared to prove it with docs to a perfect stranger who may or may not wish to use it for bad intent…especially since youve already stated that where you are located doesnt have near as many broadcast hindrances which could also mean overall regulation. Just bc someone doesnt feel good about sharing documented info since it may be used for far more than just winning an argument, doesnt mean it isnt an accurate claim…accept it as practical and dont buy RFD900, you are after all not the be all end all of long distance opinion or accomplishment :wink:

He never used the word liar so that is not really fair. I actually agree with @Target0815 even if he is maybe more direct than I am – probably a cultural thing. Those of us that actually fly FPV hear so many huge long range claims that it becomes like fishing tales and you can end up spending time and money fruitlessly. It is not really a question of dishonestly but I just do not think you can put those claims out there for others to reference if it is not documented in an open way. Or at least you cannot expect people to give these assertions weight. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

Hello,

I have been looking into long range control and mavlink systems recently and had my mind almost set on Dragonlink. Now I see this can also be done with the RFD900 series of radios. I have two of those already as dedicated mavlink radios only, I was not at all aware that control can be done that way as well. From what I see here the RFD900 devices do PPM for control, my understanding has been that PPM is outdated technology and sbus is better. Could someone shed some light on this, is there a disadvantage using PPM over sbus ?

Am I correct to assume I need the specific RFD900 TXMOD to work in a Jumper T16 or Radiomaster TX16S ? I have two RFD900x, one airbourne and the other connected to my Missionplanner Laptop.

Kind Regards
Jan P.

Hello!
In my experience DragonLink means problems.
I cannot understand this in connection with its price.

Actually I prefer to use another systems.

Sorry to hijack an old thread but I see that you use the RFD900 txmod on a TX16S radio. Have you ever managed to get sbus +telemetry going on ?
Since I switched from a taranis my sbus is not working and I can’t find a solution on this new radio.

Yes I have SBUS working and Yaapu telemetry.
I’ll think if there were any strange settings, but I dont think so.
Maybe send screenshots of the settings you have, my radios are not here right now…

There’s an SBUS setting in the radio, under each model, External RF. Disable internal RF. So I have a model just for the TXMod. I have a number of air-side radios on the copters, so they are all set up identical in every way - but you never want two powered on at once without changing a NetID.

In the TXMod and air radio you need to have SBUS selected instead of RC.
If you set the data rates higher, remember to set the serial/wifi rate the same (in TX Mod WifI mode) .
There’s also a check box for SPORT which simulates the SPORT telemetry data of a FR Sky receiver - this gives you data into Yaapu.

I always use
Baud 115
Air 200
Max Window 80

1 Like