Remote ID and the Cube Series of Autopilots

Ok, new stuff is going on with drones (again) and it started on March 16, 2024. Am I correct on the following statements?

1. FAA now (as of March 16, 2024) requires drones that are used under part 107 to have one of two types of Remote ID which are A) the kind installed by whoever built the drone (Standard type) OR B) you buy a Remote ID device and put it on your own drone because it doesn’t have any Remote ID built in (Module type).

2. ADSB out/in does NOT count as Remote ID as shown on page 12.

3. Since the Cube Orange Plus (as well as all versions of the Cube autopilot family as of March 25, 2024) does not have a built in Remote ID circuit everyone that flies under part 107 must buy a module that will satisfy what the FAA wants.

4. The one that is plug and play with the Cube autopilot family is called Cube ID and costs about $40 for a serial only type or $60 for one that can do both serial and DRONE CAN connections. There is not an I2C version for the Cube family yet.

5. The instructions on how to install and configure it are here.

6. For part 107 guys I have to buy one Remote ID module (since the Cube family of autopilots don’t have built in Remote ID yet) per drone that I fly, which is not the case for non part 107 drone fliers as stated in the Registering Drones portion here.

Remote ID sure is a tricky topic at the moment as it is not very straightforward or easy to understand. Your statements are mostly correct here’s my stab at answering them.

1. Yes, there are two types of RID, standard and module. Standard is definitely more focused on the manufacturer to implement but it is possible for a 107 operator to integrate a standard RID solution although it is very tedious. Module’s are easier to integrate but limit your p107 flights to visual line of sight, even if you had a waiver to fly BVLOS.

2. ADSB Out is prohibited unless you are flying under part 91, on a flight plan, and in two way comms with ATC. Think large UAS like a MQ-9

3. The cube autopilots do not have a built in RID solution. I believe they are working on integrating something similar to the cubeID module into future HERE 3 GPS units. Otherwise as a p107 operator you would need a RID module that has an approved Declaration of Compliance from the FAA found here

4. The cube ID appears to be a standard RID solution by looking at the instructions, it does not however appear to be supported by ArduRemoteID, but I may be mistaken in that statement. The last time I checked the CubeID does not function as a RID module, nor does it have a DoC.

5. Yup.

6. Yup