Relationship between INS_ACCEL_FILTER SETTING and vibration

Hi everyone is there a relationship between vibration levels and INS_ACCEL_FILTER settings and does high wind affect vibration levels in high speed gps flying modes.

Vibration is a mechanical or aerodynamic issue. There is no setting that will “solve” vibration issues.

Yes, wind and high speed can increase vibration levels, but generally if the levels are acceptable in hover (under 10 on all axis) then vibration speed shouldn’t be an issue. There’s a lot of caveats to that but generally holds.

1 Like

Thanks in hover all was OK less than 10 but in high speed poshold mode 155 kmh vibration level reach 50 and it was windy this day around 30kmh wind speed so is that normal?

This might fall into the caveats I mentioned.

If you got it to 155 km/h then you may be reaching some kind of limit for your drone or set up. Post a log of the flight. A few people here have done work with high speed flight before and may be able to suggest some tuning improvements. You’ll also need to share some information about the airframe, and powertrain so there’s some context.

1 Like

8 inch quadcopter 6s battery motor T-motor 3008 the frame is very stiff no play at all during the fast flight it was very good.

No surprise you’re seeing higher vibration at those speeds. Anything not firmly secured could begin to vibrate wildly, and the drag alone could be setting up an oscillation.

1 Like

So you mean no solution or with some fine tunning we can overcome this issues

If you want to push your craft to those kinds of limits, the solution is some serious physical analysis and engineering. It’s certainly not going to be a software filter setting.

1 Like

Actually I reach 180 kmh with some errors which are eliminated by decrease speed to 155kmh and I didn’t get errors except that when checking logs find vibration high so if these values are normal and accepted by experts here I will keep the build as it’s.

Vibrations exceeding 50 at that speed is asking for catastrophe. Either slow down or do some analysis to determine the cause and apply a physical fix.

1 Like

by saying physical you mean frame construction ?

I mean addressing whatever is causing the vibration. It could be cabling, a harmonic mode in the frame arms, aerodynamic buffeting, or a whole host of other things. Hence the need for analysis and engineering.

2 Likes

When you reached max speed, the motors were also at max PWM. So that means the quad has little to no control left. The quad was only at the speed for a brief moment, but if you want to fly that fast (or close to it) sustained then as @Yuri_Rage says, you have some engineering to do.

I see in the drawings of the quad there’s landing gear and a (looks like) camera tray. Those will all be sources of vibration, and drag. If you want speed, get rid of everything you don’t need.

2 Likes