Regarding the .hex files..... 2 questions

!. Regarding the .hex files, what is the difference between:

apm2-quad
apm2-quad-hil

and what HIL stands for, seems to be a “hil” version for almost all hex files.

located at firmware.diydrones.com/Copter/ where the record of all hex files are nested.

1. How do I alter code directly in a hex file…is it possible? Or I need to makes changes in the .pde file via Notepad ++ for example, and than somehow turn it into a hex file to be updated into the Atmega2650?

@Belteshazzar,
HIL stands for “hardware in loop” and you might also see SIL which is “software in loop”.
Regards,
TCIII GM

Thanks…I looked it up. On this forum I did not find much. On google found some good info but still do not know what IT IS?

Seems to be a configuration of the code made specifically for flight simulation? Some call it HILS

So…I found what it does, somewhat, and a lot of folks trying to install and run it, however not the answer to my basic question…what is it? (in other words, what is its purpose? Why is it “in a loop”?

Now that I know SIL exists…what is the difference between SIL and TIL in terms of it’s intended design?

SIL is software so I imagine it refers to our Mission Planner somehow and HIL is hardware so it must refer to the Atmega2560 chip aboard our FC which runs on a firmware, or namely, a hex file!?!?

Can someone explain the part I don’t know as stated above?

Thanks, I appreciate everyone’s time

I did some research and found my answers! Closing this thread.