ReefMaster Software Alternative

Nice work Fredrick. Interesting part of the world
I tried on my laptop - that didnt work at all, kicked my son off his gaming pc, it worked much better !

1. i added headings to the csv data latitude, longitude,depth and removed with an editor eg notepad++ the 0,0,0 data entry approx 28000 rows down ( that was your africa datapoint)

2. in QGIS new project, add layer, delimitered text and set the following…

3. added some imagery sources - the Yandex imagery was the best - it shows underwater features that google and bing dont pick up on.

4. added a label (simple) based on depth i used a formula round(depth,1) to make it 1 decimal place

5. played around with the symbol colour - graduated on depth with a range of light blue to dark blue

6. the next question im guessing is - how to get contours and 3d type imagery - roughly, from memory
    a) add in polygons around the wateredge - with depth=0
    b) use the qgis processing toolbox - interpolation tools, and
    do a TIN interpolation, using depth - it creates a grey scale of the region selected
    c) use the interopolation to generate contours (seach contours in the tools)

7. because my other son asked about 3d - i loaded the plugin qgis2threejs and made an interactive web 3d model (its 3 clicks)

Cheers,
Paul

2 Likes

Hello everybody.

I have done the bottom mapping of a quarry with Reefmaster and I am now trying to do the same in QGIS.
I tried to follow some instructions given above, but it seems that i can’t find the “page 9” of the writeup mentioned above (I have read the google presentation).

I tried to export my Reefmaster project waypoints in a CSV file, but it exports multiple objects as isobaths shells, Major contours and minor contours.
I have filtered csv lines in order to keep only lat/lon and depth values for major and minor contours.
Then I opened QGIS and followed these steps :

1. Add layer delimited text

2. added google sat image

3. added Labels

4. added symbol with graduated color based on depth

5. tried the TIN interpolation

6. Generated contours

Then, with qgis2threejs I can obtain the same image as step 7 above, with “coloured” ball waypoints, but I can’t obtain something like a 3D object with contours, because it generates some weird depth values… (seems unlimited or with a ponderated value…)

PS: From reefmaster, I didn’t managed to export “manually added” contours and depth points (in order to adjust surface limits in shallow water)
If someone has a clue on how to do that, it would be great too.

Any help appreciated :slight_smile:

Nice work, i got the same results. - so close to useful.

Its worked for me previously, but seems the qgis2threejs has changed a bit in the year since i last played with it, no obvious way to add the depth component - or at least, its different, so a bit more learning…

I’ve had similar problems in the past with the depths being text values - so look right - but arent able to be used as we want. Any text in the data field can throw it - but im thinking thats not the problem here.

Do you think this behaviour is caused by négative depth values ?
I may give a try removing “-” in the csv file…

I finally solved my problem by changing the Z exaggeration in the Scene Settings

A factor of 1.0e-5 was the good value :slight_smile:

2 Likes