Redundant channels (ch:2,4,5,6,7,8) rover firmware?

I have recently discovered that the channels 2,4,5,6,7, & 8 are redundant.
I arrived at this by not being able to program channels 5-8 to operate servo switches to run lights, start/stop ignition, etc. input functions as expected but at the out put rail there is no out put signal.
I posted on this forum with no success so I contacted 3DR product support. At that stage Francisco informed me that with the rover firmware channels 2,4,5,6,7, & 8 are redundant.
Can anyone shed some light on this!?

• Is this the case?
  • If so is it possible to over come (I am assuming that it is as Arducopter and Arduplane use these channels)?
  • What is involved in enabling these channels?
  • Can anyone help?

Thank you
Richard

@LatLog,
It would be helpful to know what navigation processor you are using.
Also, the Rover firmware does not have all of the output functions that the Arduplane and Arducopter have unfortunately.
If you have the Pixhawk, have you read this portion of the Wiki: http://rover.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-pixhawk-overview/
Regards,
TCIII ArduRover2 Developer

@TCIII
Not sure I follow your question on what navigation process I was using. But to try and answer that I purchased the GPS (Ublox). I was hoping to preprogram a waypoint route via the Mission Planner. Use the RC to launch beach and then switch over to auto once ready. I was hoping to get telemetry over 3G.

That is very disappointing to learn that ch 2, & 4-8 are redundant. I wish it stated that on the website. On the website it show a 8ch RC TX & RX so I assumed all of the outputs would work. I also used to say that the channels can be reassigned so as you can see this is all somewhat surprising to learn.

So what we are saying is that rovers can’t have lights, cameras etc.

I was hoping to build a sailing boat after this, again this would require more than two channels :frowning:

With all of that said I would very much like to over come this. Can some one tell me what my options are?
A). Get help from the Rover programmers?
B). Use Arduplane?
C). Throw the AMP in the trash and find another system?

Richard

@TCIII,
I read that link you sent in regards to the PixHawk.
But would I not have the same problem? is it not the firmware that is stopping the output channels and not the hardware?

Cheers,
Richard

Hi Richard,

all 8 output channels on APM should work as auxillary channels, in exactly the same way as with Pixhawk.

I did a test with Software in the loop simulation and it worked like it should be.

What you see on the graph is the output 5 triggered by the input 5.

[attachment=0]apmrover2_relay_RC5_FUNCTION_1.png[/attachment]

I did set RC5_FUNCTION to 1 for RCPassThru and switched input 5 to 1900 then 1100 and 1500 again.

Regards,
Linus

@Linus,
A nice explanation of using the other channels and a good demonstration that they are indeed functional.
Regards,
TCIII GM

@Linus: Thank you, that is great news.
If you could just help me with the settings?
I went into the “Full Parameters List” and changed the RC5_FUNCTION setting from 0 to 1 for pass through as you explained. With the settings: RC5_MAX: 1919 pwm, RC5_MIN: 1055 pwm, RC5_REV: 1, RC5_TRIM: 1500 pwm, RC6_D2: 0 pwm.
Sorry I don’t follow where to change the input?
Can you please help me a little more with this?

Thank you,
Richard

You dont have to change the input. It should work with those settings i think.

Just make sure your transmitter channel 5 switch assignment works correctly.

If its not working with PPM for you could you please try to wire the channels seperately ?

Maybe your OpenLRS is using a different channel order ?

Regards,
Linus

Thanks Linus, Ill try and wire each channel individually and check that.
Regards,
Richard

@Linus: I am just about to wire channel to channel RX to APM. I have been thinking: I flashed my RX/TX and changed settings on CH5 to PPM. When I calibrate the TX with the MP all of the bars move and I can assign channels 5-8 to switches etc.
Also channels 1 & 3 throttle and steering work perfectly (Input & Output).
So I am assuming that it is a setting in the parameters that I have missed?
I have now set channels 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8 from 0 to 1 for pass through but no change.
Do you still think it could be in the PPM?
Thank you,
Richard

Hi Richard,

strange thing.
just tried it with my APM 2.5 and PPM and it works as it should.
I had assigned channel 6 to my turnigy 9x 3-Position switch and changed rc6 function to 1 for this test.

[attachment=0]chan6_passthrough_apm2.52_roverv2.45.png[/attachment]

I assume you wrote the parameter changes to the apm and confirmed the change with refreshing them in the advanced parameter list ?

Regards,
Linus

Thanks @Linus,
I am convinced it is a setting or something I have missed after talking to Thomas and yourself. I am just not sure what I have missed?
I will have another look not and see.
Cheers,
Richard

Hi @Linus:
I have tried again, same result.
So I loaded Arduplane and then reloaded Ardurover to reset the values. I then went through the setup tutorial again.
Then set channels 2,4,5,6,7,&8 to 1 in the Full Pram list. then Checked it in the standard list. Wrote and saved Params.

Can you please tell me how you pulled up that graph?
Cheers,
Richard

Could I have Fried my output board?

Hi Richard,

i graphed the in-/outputs with apmplanner2’s graphing functionality.

diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/apm … 10-release

i verifiyd it again with two mini servos (servo output rail chan5+6) with apm 2.5, frsky ppm receiver and turnigy 9x transmitter. with a flip of the switch (channel 6 on 3 positon switch) the servos moved as they should.

is there power on your output-rail ? is the little jumper installed ?

im not sure if you burned your outputs, can you upload a picture of your setup and a logfile so we can get some more insights ?

Regards,
Linus

Hi Linus: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I have downloaded and AMP2 (feels nice) and the graph is below.
It appears to me that everything in terms of RX and output is working fine. If you could confirm that after you have a chance to look at the image?
So that leads me to believe that either I have damaged the board or I have not connected it correctly ( I will send images of my setup for you to review shortly).
Yes I have the jumper installed and on the out put rail I am getting just over 5v. I have tested all rails and all have the same voltage.
From the other images you will see that the Open LRS RX unit is powered by a UBEC therefor the (+) from the RX to the APM is cut and terminated. only the (s) & (-) are connected to the APM. Then from the output board the steering and throttle (+) is cut and terminated on both as the servos have their dedicated power supply via a power unit. only the (s) & (-) is connected from the output to the power unit.
Now with the other available channels I would like to use servo switches to I had servo switch v10’s from DIY or 3Drobotics. I could not get them to work so I bought “Turnigy receiver controlled on/off switch’s” from Hobby King. Still no joy.

What do you think?

@Linus:
Yes I have the jumper installed and on the out put rail I am getting just over 5v. I have tested all rails and all have the same voltage.
From the other images you will see that the Open LRS RX unit is powered by a UBEC therefor the (+) from the RX to the APM is cut and terminated. only the (s) & (-) are connected to the APM. Then from the output board the steering and throttle (+) is cut and terminated on both as the servos have their dedicated power supply via a power unit. only the (s) & (-) is connected from the output to the power unit.
Now with the other available channels I would like to use servo switches to I had servo switch v10’s from DIY or 3Drobotics. I could not get them to work so I bought “Turnigy receiver controlled on/off switch’s” from Hobby King. Still no joy.

What do you think?

New Servo switches

Hi LatLong,

im sorry but cant find any problem with your setup, looks good i think.

It could be that your board output are fried as you initially asked but im not sure how to verify that.
The graph from apmplanner2 looks as it should.

I will try to reproduce your setup at home during the weekend, i do have such turnigy switch laying around.

Regards,
Linus