RC_Override and Simultaneously reading RC Controller

I am working with a blue robotics blue boat and I am trying to directly control the thrusters (via pwm) using an outside program (MOOS IVP) at the moment, I am controlling the thrusters using RC_OVERRIDE commands. This works fine up until the point where I want to be able to use an rc controller to kill any sort of autonomous operations (for ease of docking as well as safety). As it suggests in the name, RC_OVERRIDE overrides the RC inputs coming from the controller and it would seem that in order to properly send this message you must override all of the rc channels. I am fine with this so long as there is some other way to read the pwm signals coming from a connected controller.

The Question: Is there a way to directly read the pwm signals coming from an RC controller that is not reading the mavlink RC_CHANNELS message? Or alternatively, is there a way to directly control pwm output that is not RC_OVERRIDE?

I am running Ardurover (Boat) 4.5.4 on a blue robotics navigator board

I am communicating with the boat via a mavlink using mavlink2rest following this example

Thanks!

Jeremy

Documentation says you should use value 0 or UINT16_MAX-1 (depending on channel) in order to use values from your RC radio.

https://mavlink.io/en/messages/common.html#RC_CHANNELS_OVERRIDE