RC output/input

I have been bench testing the ArduBoat since I updated to the new firmware (3.4.0) and did not notice that the RC input/output channels are not mapped correctly. I also removed my PWM-SumPPM converter and am now wired with SBUS since the new firmware allows this.

-I have my transmitter (Futaba T6K) setup for airplane mode with channel 1 as ailerons, 2 as elevator, 3 as rudder.

-Pilot_Steer_Type is set to “1” for skidsteering

-Servo Output is set for Channel 1 “ThrottleLeft” and Channel 2 as “ThrottleRight” and all others are disabled

-Under “Radio Calibration” : Left is roll low, Right is roll high. Throttle increase is throttle low and throttle decrease is throttle high.

-I have my left ESC wired to RC1 and my right ESC wired to RC3 on the PixHawk FMUv2

I think SBus input is supported since the Pixhawk was introduced, certainly not just since Rover 3.4 (or are you referring to a new TX/RX firmware?).
You configured servo output on channel 1 and 2. Then you plug your ESCs into output 1 and 3. That won’t work.

Sorry…typo. Channel 3 is Throttle right.

Still can’t figure out how I have the channels all mapped wrong. Everything looks right on the servo out page but actual motor directions are completely wrong.

Have you tried reversing the servo directions in the servo output screen?
if your motors are working but in the wrong direction this could fix the issue.
The Left/right on the screen is arbitrary showing simply low to high PWM.

I’ll look at it in the morning with a fresh set of eyes. Must be missing something.

You have to use a combination of RC IN or transmitter channel reverse and SERVO OUT reverse until the motors run in the right directions in manual and acro mode. Test stabilization direction in acro mode by rotating the vehicle manually. The motors should counteract the rotation.
Rotate left > left motor forward, right motor backward
Rotate right > left motor backward, right motor forward

Started from scratch using the ArduRover documentation and was able to get it going.

The issue I was having was with the pilot_steer_type param. The notes say 0=Default which I would think is ground steer. 1=Two paddle input which I thought would be track style. Making me further confused was that when you change from 0 to 1 it changes servo1 to 73 and servo2 to 74 (as it should be).

The magic combo for me is pilot param to 0, servo1 to 73, servo2 to 74, and reversed both servo outputs.

1 Like

KG,

Glad you got it sorted out.

This line worries me a bit:

when you change from 0 to 1 it changes servo1 to 73 and servo2 to 74 (as it should be).

If you’re saying that changing the PILOT_STEER_TYPE parameter causes the SERVOx_FUNCTION parameter values to change then that is not good. I can’t find anything in ArduPilot that does this but perhaps I’m not looking hard enough or I’m misunderstanding something.