Radiomaster R81 V2 receiver overheat problem

Hello.

My Radiomaster R81 V2 receiver have overheat problem now. I tested two receiver and have same problem.

input voltage is exactly 5.00 volts(I checked it with voltmeter)
It have no shorted part. It operates well and RSSI is very good. signal is strong. but its temperature is very high and I almost got burn, glue attached to it was melt.

What could be the reason of this problem?

Are both antennas properly attached? Have the antennas been modified at all?

I put antenna well and didn’t modified antenna.

Signal is strong when it is near.

Did you replace/resolder the cables to the receiver as well when you tested another one? Can’t really think of another source for the problem other than that, or an inherent design flaw.

Do you have an IR thermometer to get some actual numbers? Some chips just run very hot. What kind of glue is it that melted? Hot glue?

can cable generates heat…?

It is Melted Hot Glue.

High resistance at a bad solder joint can heat it up. Would be helpful if you could determine how hot it actually gets, and what component causes it. The STM32 has an allowed range of up to 105C for example.

Every current creates losses on thin cables and then makes them hot.
If the cables

1 Like

The hot glue itself could be part of the issue, insulating a chip that is intended to be exposed to airflow.

1 Like

Okay, We will check solder point again,

but, I did many soldering before but I never heard of it before.

Never hearing of common soldering problems doesn’t mean they don’t exist. It just points to a gap in knowledge and/or skill set.

Yes. We suspected that issue at first.

but now the insulation tube covering the R81 receiver already popped and broken due to heat and swollen air,

but the heat problem still exists…

because we operate our aircraft on ship, and the receiver is on the datalink, not on the aircraft, we blocked R81 receiver cover

Was the insulation tube originally attached to the receiver or did you attached it.
On pictures of shops I see the receiver without any covering so it might be necessary for some components on it to have some airflow for cooling. If you dismantel the cover can you identify which component getting hot?
Show pictures

1 Like

But weird thing is,

after swollen and pop of the insulation tube due to heat,

It still has heat.

I dont have picture now.

Antenna is both properly attached.

What component on the receiver is heating up exactly? As I wrote, the allowed max temperature for the ESP32 is 105C, that’s very hot. Anything above 50C feels “hot” to the touch. So maybe it’s running completely within spec now, but heated up a bit too much when it was insulated, which wouldn’t surprise me too much. Did you wrap it yourself?

Not saying something definitely isn’t wrong, but you’ve checked two different units and they both are running hot, maybe that’s just the way they work. In that case you could always put a heatsink on the hot component.

Actually, We are operating VTOL on south pacific ship.

The RC receiver was good on the land and we tested several times.

Only RC receivers loaded on ships have problem.

So, I’m suspecting there is some interference and Receiver trying contact to RC and overheat.

Cable itself can be heated up due to bad soldering.

but bad joint of cable can generate chip’s heat?

I have never heard of it before.

The receivers are probably designed to be operated on well ventilated racing quads not sealed up in something.

2 Likes