Radiolink telemetry radio on ArduCopter 4.1 08102021 latest, Pixhawk 2.4.8 (Pixhawk1) breaks connection

So then why am I being forced to use a RC with built in radio modem if I want to fly my drone?

I think it should be ok to connect the companion computer to the autopilot using the USB port at least from a software point of view. All the failsafes remain operational in this configuration (in old versions they did not). The only issue is that the USB cable connector is not very secure.

@Aaron_Sims, could you clarify where you saw this warning? I had a look but couldnā€™t find it.

So my understanding of the issue is that the Sik telemetry radio works when using the Pixhawk-1M firmware but not when using the Pixhawk1 firmware.

The power idea is reasonable but my guess is that it is actually a bandwidth problem. With the Pixhawk1 firmware a lot more features are enabled and some of these (like the proximity library) could cause more telemetry data to be sent and there might just not be enough bandwidth.

@Aaron_Sims, itā€™s not clear what GCS you are using but assuming that it is MP could you set the streams rates all to ā€œ1ā€? This is described here on the wiki.

I think part of the reason we are not getting to the bottom of this issue is there are no logs provided. As we say it is all guesswork without logs. If you could onboard logs (.bin files) and (optionally) telemetry logs (.tlog files) that would be great.

You are entirely correct about a bandwidth issue. Although I was finally able to get some things to work on the beta 7 release I still encountered bandwidth issues and I ended up disabling my obstacle avoidance which is the mavlink_to_d4xx.py script I ended up only connecting mavros which is only a temporary workaround. I just need to pass two tests and I can upgrade to a newer fc with more bandwidth, but the stars will not align.

Fyi, I did get a couple flights in the tune and crash my drone. It was all good till i ran into issues of auto being disabled because it used terrain following using lidar and it kept saying it couldnā€™t download terrain data even though terrain_enable was false then flyaway. Grr.:rofl::umbrella: I provided info on another thread.

Thanks,

Aaron

P.S. I will update the stream rates in Telemetry planner in mp. Thanks for the tip. Also Iā€™ll try to turn my loging back on which I disabled in an attempt to get more IO or CPU back to the system when I couldnā€™t use the pixel because it was locking up on the telemetry.

1 Like