Quick tune. Yes or no and when

Been struggeling to get good autone done due to constant winds here.

As it happens I came upon the quick tune feature by Randy. So question

Has any one tried using quicktune on their quads and what was your experience using it?

It works well and fast, not sure how it will go in wind though

1 Like

Have to check my settings again. Bound it to ch7 but nothing happened

It is value 300 right? I am not seeing the quick_enable parameter, I am on 4.4.3

Did you put the script in the APM/scripts directory and enable Scripts?

Nope but im doing that now

OK lets conintue here.

So by my understanding. One should do the qautotune and then move on to Autotune?

Qautotune is for quad plane. It’s analogous to Copters Auto Tune. So no, not applicable to you unless you have a quad plane.

Guessing at your reasoning here. You want to tune a Copter but it’s too windy for Auto Tune to be successful so you are considering Quick Tune. Can that be established? And you are running V4.4.4? Remind us which Flight Controller.
Notch filter configured?

Quick tune

Im on 4,4,3 and running a Durandal.

I follow @andyp1per’s video and bind FFT tune to a channel. After that I start autotune

I use the slider pitch and roll sensitivity if needed its a good place to start however I have run into a quad that would not tune well and VTOL quick tune fixed the issue. I recommend it. It works for Quads and VTOL even in simulations like Realflight.

OK, then give Quick Tune a try. But, like Shawn mentioned I don’t know if it will produce a good tune in windy conditions either.

Actually quicktune will likely give better results in wind as it relies on limit cycles which rely on some kind of disturbance to be provoked. It won’t give you as crisp a tune as autotune and can easily overtune, it is also actually changing your PIDs so there is some danger there if it goes wrong - but it is a fast way to get to something semi-sensible. If you are having trouble with autotune and your manual tune is bad then quicktune is a nice middle ground as it is simply doing better what you would do for a manual tune anyway.

But note THERE IS NO MAGIC - all tuning mechanisms have challenges and cannot overcome a bad physical setup, having an idea of what is going on is always helpful.

1 Like

Thanks Andy. So is my thinking correct tht I can do the quick tune first and then Autotune?

Yes, provided everything else is in place to give a good Autotune result