Quadcopter tilts preventing takeoff

Hi,

I am completely new to building quadcopters, so I have no idea what is going on and what went wrong. I tried to make it take off, but all it did was tilt towards one side of the arms, and if I increased the throttle more, it would flip over and crash.

The link below is to a folder of videos, log files and photos.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1olAHT3IdrowcZQA-Rmz5PztQgvLjgxUC?usp=sharing

Quadcopter specifications:
Pixhawk 2.4.8, with Copter 4.4.1
1000 kV motor
40A ESC
F450 frame
11.1V 1800 mAh battery
9045 Propellors

I have a payload underneath the drone. However, I do not think that is the problem. I tried it without the payload (refer to the video (one with the very bad slow-motion capture)), and it still tilted towards the same arm.

Much help is appreciated as I have no idea how to solve this issue.

Thanks!!

In 99.99999999999998 % of cases it is the motor order or spin-direction.
Use MissionPlanner motor test to verify that:

• testing A activates motor 1
  • testing B activates motor 4
  • and so on…

Make sure that GPS cable is secured to the mast then to the frame, with some flexibility where it goes to the flight controller.
Those collet prop adapters will probably end up giving you trouble.

I did look at you pictures and videos.
Definitely do not fly inside - get outside with plenty of space, if the copter does successfully take off you may not have full control.

2 Likes

Hello @FooBaa_Waa ,

Before assembling your drone, it’s important to ensure that all basic calibrations have been completed. If you haven’t done these calibrations yet, I recommend visiting the provided link and following the calibration steps to ensure everything is set up correctly.

Once calibration is complete or if you’ve already calibrated your drone, here are the next steps:

1. Give your drone a slight thrust without taking off and observe its behavior:
  • Check for any pitch movements (forward and backward) in response to minor input.
  • Test for roll movements to the right and left with gentle input.
  1. If your quadcopter reacts to these inputs while on the ground, disarm it.
  2. Next, consider trying guided mode in an outdoor. Typically, the issues you described, like rolling, are more prominent in stabilize mode.
  3. If your quadcopter takes off perfectly in guided mode and responds well to your commands, it indicates that your drone is functioning correctly. There’s no need to worry.
  4. In the event you decide to attempt a manual takeoff, remember to counteract any unwanted roll by applying an opposite roll input during takeoff.

I hope that these steps should help ensure your drone is operating as expected.

1 Like