Quadcopter airframe structural integrity

Hello all,

I really hope not only me asking myself the question that how (quantitative and qualitative) air frame structure affects the attitude controller of Arducopter. These factors: rigidity, stiffness, flexibility, natural frequency will cause motor displacement, vibration and noise inducing to IMU. The Ardupilot has a very good mechanism to eliminate the “noise” by LPF and/or Harmonic Notch filter. However, if a (professional) user starts from beginning and he is capable of building a frame himself, what consideration he should have to make sure that the frame/chassis/body is good enough to go on before adding power and other electrical components?

There are some studies out there like these I have read, I still can’t find the general answer.

I will give a big thank to whom who can guide or showing me a direction to research based on scientific methods: theorical and experimental. Can we take advance of the Ardupilot ecosystem to have some experimental analysis (such as vibe, FFT…)?

I don’t think there is an ‘answer’ for this - its very case specific. You need to set yourself some requirements and work to them and then validate your design through physical test ( I would say test is more valuable than simulation at the small scale but some simulation can be useful). You will then learn what is an acceptable range for requirements such as stiffess, ar deflection, overall weight etc.

1 Like

A specific “answer” is not expected. However, it should be a scientific approach rather than trial-fail method. If someone has enough “experience” on this topic, it is highly appeciated when he can summarize them into a list.

I have plenty of ‘experience’ with this topic, which is why I know that setting yourself requirements is the first step in the design process.

1 Like