Quad Plane issue setting up motors on AUX 9-12

Hi,

I am setting up a custom Quad plane using a Pixhawk and Velox 4in1 45amp ESC. Since the ESC runs on Behli32 software and Dshot, I have to connect the motors to the Pixhawk through the aux channels 1-4. Everything is wired correctly because I was able to connect to the ESC using Bheli32 suite when the SUAS is set up with Arducopter, it also flies fine.

But when I switch the firmware to arduplane and try to setup the SUAS as a Quad Plane I am unable to connect to the motors via Beheli suite, it reads “Initialization of serial 4way interface failed, no active motor outputs found! Please select an appropriate motor output protocol in Ardupilot”

I also am unable to get the motors to spin at all, by using the motor test, servo toggle, or even directly passing RC input through to the aux output. I am very confused because it seems that my aux outs aren’t working correctly as even when I set an aux out to an RCIN channel, I am unable to see the servo receive any information, when I use a main out I can.
ex: RCIN3

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?
Here are my current parameters (I know my motor ordering looks off, but when soldering I mixed up a few motors and had to fix it via software, this is the correct ordering for a H-class quad)
Params_QUADPLANE.param (19.5 KB)

Are you trying to use Esc as dshot esc or as pwm esc ?

Hello Spencer2,
It would be interesting to know which version you are using.

From your parameters file I see that you have:
Q_M_PWM_TYPE,6 ok.
SERVO_AUTO_TRIM,0 ok.
SERVO_BLH_MASK,3840 ok, but redundant from my point of view.
SERVO_DSHOT_ESC,0 should be at least 1.

Try changing this last parameter if it doesn’t work, we will explain how you are doing the engine test.
Luck.
Raúl.

Hi,
I am trying to use the ESC as Dshot, as far as I am aware this ESC will not work with PWM.

Hi Luar,

Thanks for the response, I tried changing the SERVO_DSHOT_ESC to 1 for BHeli32 but I am still not getting any kind of a response. I also understand that the BLH mask is redundant I’ve just been trying anything I can to get this to work. I am using ArduPlane V4.4.3, and I am able to verify that channels 9-12 are on Dshot through the RC channel banner message when the SUAS starts up.

On arducopter I have no problem using this exact setup with the Bheli32 passthrough the pixhawk flight controller. But now when I try it on arduplane it seems like there is no communication through the AUX outputs and esc.

Any ideas?

Hello,
OK.
Now I don’t have access to the Cube Orange, but for the engine test you have to have the Cube Armed?
If it is not necessary to have the Cube armed, try changing these parameters:
BRD_SAFETY_DEFLT=0, you have it at 1 to override the safety switch.
BRD_SAFETY_MASK, enable outputs 9,10,11 and 12, if I have not calculated wrong it will be 3840. With this you will see that outputs 9,10,11 and 12 appear on the SERVOS OUTPUT screen.

Try and tell us.
Luck.
Raúl.