QPlane Yaw unstable due to mechanical flex, possible shorter booms?

Hey Guys,

i am having a hard time tuning on of my quad planes. i made a perfect square around the CG for my motor booms. The booms are to flexible and twist. That makes it impossible to get a reliable and good YAW tune.
a = 50cm, red = boom, dotted line is just for clarification

i thought about shortening the booms around 20%, fine for the propellers.

Log of an Yaw autotune: https://framecloud.info/index.php/s/PWooxPLcMo2ZixP

Is pitch still reliable then?
What do you think about that idea. I saw a lot of quad planes in a “non” square configuration lately. how does it influence the flight characteristics?
thanks!

1 Like

@tridge and opinion? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Hans,

Using 0.8a for length will help reduce your forces for twisting the wings up and down but it may not be enough. The plane and wing construction must be solid. You can still hover ok with 0.8a length. VTOL creates many compromises so remember that hovering is usually kept to a minimum as the plane is mostly flying forward.

I abandoned my Ranger EX conversion years ago because the wing twist was too much without design modifications. The same quad power system has worked well in the FX-79 Buffalo 2M wing without the flexing issues.

Good luck!

The wings itself are strong and stiff enouth, the booms twist.

1 Like

Full disclosure: I use PX4 Stack, not ArduPilot and I’m no expert but have built a few VTOL conversions.

From my perspective, you’ve got your booms too far outboard. That exacerbates the twisting to compensate for the yaw caused by the pusher prop. I have built a Ranger EX-757 and have successfully flown it but the twisting will always be there due to the P-factor during transition as you’ll see in my video.

Just for comparison, @GregCovey 's Ranger had his booms 829mm apart but mine were only 420mm.

I later installed guy wires on mine to help mitigate the twisting.

Although my builds try to get the quad motors and booms close to CG, that’s not given priority. Immaterial of your boom location, CG should be on Fixed Wing configuration first before MultiCopter. After all, you’re going to be spending most time in FW than MC mode. In my recent builds, I’ve brought in the booms and motor positions as close to the center of the fuselage and just enough for the quad props and pusher prop to clear, being conscious of any flexing.

I doubt that the boom is twisting. By the way, both builds and all my others only use 15X15 CF booms.

Good luck.

2 Likes

The 20mm square CF booms twist? That’s odd. My assumption was that your twist was see-saw, not axial. How long is 2a?

My 15mm square by 800mm carbon tubes from HK don’t twist at all. Perhaps your tube walls are thinner. Shortening your boom length will help. Also, changing the booms to carbon tubes will prevent twisting as well.

1 Like

Oh i made a mistake, this are 15x15 cfk HK tubes! not 20x20.
weight is around 7kg in total. a=50cm

1 Like

you can change your prop rotations so the flexing assists the yaw rather than stopping it. Still not ideal tho.

ok, i did it.
i cut the booms 12cm per side. so in total 24cm shorter.
will post about the outcome! thanks for your suggestions.

a lot better now! yaw is stable but “slow” which is ok for me.