Q_RTL_MODE issue

Hi guys,

While I was running SITL, I ran into Q_RTL_ MODE parameter. There are 4 options there from 0 to 3.

We usually set it at 1 so that VTOL can safely land on launching pad automatically but there was 3 and it seemed quite similar what 1 is doing but there was additional process of APPROACH TO VTOL TRANSITION POINT, AIRBRAKE.

I read the description for a couple of times but couldn’t really understand any difference between Q_RTL_MODE 1 and 3 because I’ve witnessed our VTOL also does those approach and airbraking with mode 1. So I got a bit confused now.

Secondly, when I set the Q_RTL_MODE to 0, it is supposed to be circling around home point on QRTL mode but SITL vehicle kept landing on its last stage rather than hovering over head. Is it a bug?

We operate our VTOL on ships and I decided to set transtion fail action to QRTL. Still, the VTOL shouldn’t attempt to land but hover over the ship. On SITL test, QRTL initiated fine but it always landed on the ship, or on the water in the real situation because ships drift away.

I suspected that it might be caused by RC failsafe itself (which was activated by sim_ rc_failsafe parameter) so I just activated QRTL mode without any failsafe but it still was landing as a last stage of QRTL. Q_RTL_MODE was set to 0 as mentioned above.

Force RTL in the Q_options was too dangerous as I found it starts transitioning regardlss altitude when RC failsafe kicks in. The VTOL is near ships or on its landing approach, it will be disasterous if pusher motor starts to spin.

Any kind other general advice or suggestion about our operation will be also much welcomed.

Thank you!