Problem with git submodule update --init --recursive

Sorry if this has already come up and been solved. While I am trying to install and build Ardupilot. I get to the stage where I have to use the git submodule update command with the two tags on the end. But when I try to do this it gives me an error.

odroid@odroid:~/ardupilot$ git submodule update --init --recursive
Cloning into ‘/home/odroid/ardupilot/modules/ChibiOS’…
fatal: unable to connect to github.com:
github.com[0: 61.9.194.18]: errno=No route to host
github.com[1: 2001:8002:e21:f002::f5ff]: errno=Network is unreachable

fatal: clone of ‘git://github.com/ArduPilot/ChibiOS.git’ into submodule path ‘/home/odroid/ardupilot/modules/ChibiOS’ failed
Failed to clone ‘modules/ChibiOS’. Retry scheduled

Thank you in advance. This error happens for all of the modules. But I have searched for a solution for an hour the last couple of days and have not been able to find anything unless I have just missed it. But thanks.

1 Like

Did you fork and download using git? Looks to me that git can’t connect to the internet.

When downloading the repository. I had trouble so I ended up using the commands:

git clone __________ --depth 1
cd ardupilot/
git fetch --unshallow

and to me that looked like it worked. The main thing is that I was wondering if anyone would know a work around to the problem I am having with this.

bit out of my depth, try asking the experts over on gitter https://gitter.im/ArduPilot/ardupilot

@iampete should I just straight up put my first post into the main ardupilot chat on there?

Similar issue. Git clone works, but git submodule update --init --recursive does not and returns errors:

C:\cygwin64\home\jjkb\ardupilot>git submodule update --init --recursive
Cloning into 'C:/cygwin64/home/jjkb/ardupilot/modules/ChibiOS'...
github.com[0: 140.82.118.3]: errno=Invalid argument

fatal: clone of 'git://github.com/ArduPilot/ChibiOS.git' into submodule path 'C:/cygwin64/home/jjkb/ardupilot/modules/ChibiOS' failed
Failed to clone 'modules/ChibiOS'. Retry scheduled
Cloning into 'C:/cygwin64/home/jjkb/ardupilot/modules/gbenchmark'...
github.com[0: 140.82.118.3]: errno=Invalid argument

Git works fine on my machine for other projects, in fact getting submodules works for other projects.

I am behind a proxy, but git proxy has been set (hence I can get the repo in the first place).