Problem with arming the motors

Hi all ! When I plug in the battery, the motors beep continuously. I use an APM 2.8 flight controller for my drone. Where could the problem come from and how to solve it?

Welcome to the community.

Please share a .bin log file or at least a .param parameter file.

Where are you in the configuration process?
What did you do so far?
What hardware do you use, apart from the (outdated) APM 2.8?
Did you calibrate RC and ESCs?
We need more information to be able to help you effectively.

I finished accel calibration as well as the GPS and the radio after installing firmware version 4.5.1. I have a problem with the battery of my radio and I don’t know if the problem comes from there because the beeps were not emitted before this, it was just the drone tipping over when I put the gas on.

What ESC & protocol do you use?

Copter 4.5.1 doesn’t exist for apm 2.8. What FC do you have?

And please answer all my other previous questions and Olis questions as well.

1 Like

Hello,

I’m currently experiencing an issue with my ESCs emitting continuous beeps. Here are some details about my equipment:

My ESCs are standard models provided with my drone Arducopter.
Flight Controller: I’m using APM 2.8 as the flight controller.
Configuration: The ESCs are wired according to the instructions provided in the assembly manual of Ardupilot.
I have tried to solve the problem by recalibrating the ESCs and checking the connections, but the beeps continue. I’m not sure about the ESC protocol used because I don’t have access to this information in my equipment documentation.

I’m using the following equipment:

• 4 brushless motors GT 2212-980KV with ESCs
  • A Power Module
  • A GPS module
  • An AT9S Pro radio controller with an R9DS receiver
  • A 4200mAh LiPo battery

It should be noted that when I disconnect the ESC wires, the beeping stops.

What value did you set for MOT_PWM_TYPE? I’m guessing it’s PWM and you need to calibrate your ESCs, but that’s just a shot in the dark without knowing what ESCs and protocol you’re actually using.

Also what firmware did you flash to your FC? As Janno said, there is no 4.5.1 for the APM 2.8. Last supported version was 3.something.

1 Like

This forum isn’t a wishing well that you can yell into and magically get an answer. When you don’t answer our questions, we don’t know your problem and our solutions will be inaccurate. And no, I don’t want to list every possible solution to every possible problem with the symptoms you describe.

Since I also feel we have a language barrier of sorts, let’s try it with pictures.

Please post pictures of the following:

• The FC
  • the connections of the ESCs at the FC
  • the ESCs themself
  • a screenshot of the messages that are displayed in Mission Planner when you connect the FC via USB

Also please post a .bin log file or a .param parameter file. This is the second time I ask for this.

This could only be more nondescribt if you said “My ESCs are ESCs”. Please be more precise. With a picture for example.

using equipment without proper datasheets is just asking for trouble.

Which wires? ESC ↔ Battery? ESC ↔ FC? ESC ↔ Motor? More precision please.

Keep in mind that it is your problem in the end and if you are not willing to help us helping you then I don’t care if your drone flies or not.

3 Likes

The first issue is that I’m very much a beginner. The drone was provided to me already assembled but with calibration issues, and I was supposed to calibrate it and integrate a 2-DOF robotic arm that I modeled. During stabilization tests of the drone, it kept tipping over every time. So, I tried reconnecting all the ESC wires as well as the receiver wires. After installing a very recent firmware, this triggered continuous beeping. I just redid the receiver connections, and now the beeping is intermittent, but the motor test is failing.

These beeps accually are warnings. Check MOT_PWM_MIN.

1 Like

I downloaded Ardupilot 3.2.1 from the website for APM 2.0 and installed it, but I’m still facing the same issue. When I calibrate the RC and try to test the motors, the continuous beeping resumes.

You (probably) need to calibrate your ESCs, not your RC. But seriously, in order to help you properly we need more input. Log file, or at least a parameter file. @IHA1 is likely right, and increasing MOT_PWM_MIN will (likely) resolve your issue, but you’ll still have uncalibrated ESCs, and (likely) a completely untuned drone.

Ardupilot isn’t a very forgiving or easy flight control software, and you need to invest time and mental energy to set it up properly. Sure, your drone will lift off somehow, then it will oscillate, topple over and crash.

2 Likes