Problem uploading firmware (APM Planner v2.0.8/Linux Mint)

Hi,

Subject outlines the basic problem. I’m trying to upload firmware to a new pixhawk using the linux version of APM planner. This is version 2.0.8 downloaded on my linux mint machine. I used the ubuntu 13.04 *.deb file to install APM Planner.

===========================
I plug in the pixhawk, choose the the menu item for initial setup and then choose the quadcopter icon. APM planner seems to download the firmware file and then asks me to unplug and re-plug the pixhawk.

The problem occurs before the attempted upload and I get the following error:

ERROR: Port ttyACM0 is locked by an external process. Run: “sudo lsof /dev/ttyACM0” to determine the associated programs. They can usually be uninstalled.

When I follow the suggested “sudo lsof /dev/ttyACM0”, I get the following:

lsof: WARNING: can’t stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/[xxxxx]/gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.

Pretty much unsure what to do at this point. Any idea for help would be great.

Thanks,
Allan

Can you check to see if you have modem-manager installed, and if so, uninstall it (via apt-get remove modem-manager) ? lsof should’ve listed it if it was an issue, but perhaps something is odd with your system.

Thanks, that did the trick.

On linux mint 16, however the package is called modemmanager with no hyphen for those in my shoes.

Thanks so much,
cheers,
Allan

FYI, I had exactly the same experience on Ubuntu 13.10 . Same message with lsof, had to remove modemmanager, and then it worked.