Principles of MAG calibration for large vehicles

Can you explain the principle of large vehicle calibration(MAG)?
What principle does it automatically calibrate the copter without physically calibrating it?

Don’t bother. Use Magfit.

1 Like

What does magfit do?
I know it’s a tool that runs on Ubuntu,
but I don’t know how to use it exactly,
and I’m wondering what’s the difference with compass calibration

It’s uses actual data collected in flight, or drive for rover, to compute compass offsets and compass motor compensation coefficients.
Magfit
It should be considered the standard for compass calibration and it’s easy to perform. Fly or drive a few figure-8’s with some throttle changes and use MAVExplorer, which runs on multiple platforms, to do the work.

You do have to start with some kind of compass calibration however crude before doing the data collection flight.

2 Likes

I have a multicopter weighing 80kg and 3m wide. It’s very heavy and big, so it’s very hard for me to correct it by myself.

So I was curious about the principle of large vehicle calibration.

I don’t know how it works, but I’ve used Large Vehicle calibration for my larger helis and hex so I don’t have to wave them all over the place. They PosHold and RTL accurately, but I’ve recently learned about MagFit so have applied it after flying first with just the Large Vehicle calibration.

3 Likes

Thank you for your comments. I would like to know the principle of large vehicle calibration.