PreArm: logging fail 3.6.2

This came up on the dev call this-morning; see the notes (when they
appear) for things tridge will be trying next.

1 Like

With ChiBios, after changing parameters and trying genuine and chinese ”SD cards of several sizes, I found that with a particularily critical Micro Pix controller it booted completely and always with two particular uncharacterized chinese 1GB cards and one chinese uncharacterized 2 GB card. No genuine characterized fast card worked. No problem in NuttX.

Among the ones failing were three 1GB chinese cards.

Observe that the five 1GB cards (FAT16, 16K clusters, no deffects) report different sizes. The two over 1e9 bytes work.

Go figure. This should be solved eventually, but if it relates to ChiBios internals may take longer.

I tracked this down to three problems. “Bad Logging” comes from frsky_passthru and ha.ppens because no logging happens until you arm. unless you request it. “Logging Failed” Im not sure about yet, and “IO Thread Heartbeat” is only dataflash related and should only be generated once instead of multiple times, if a logging problem really exists. I’ll fix these if I can, or at least let people know why they occur and their IO main thread isn’t shutting down. That’s what I thought until I looked. Oh yeah, there are not any errors with USB plugged in because most of the tests are bypassed. It has nothing to do with the type of card, voltage, or any other bad reason. I’ll also try to figure out why nuttx is different, but I suspect it’s a minor difference in the order some of the modules get setup.

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m still getting the “PreArm: Logging failed” error.
(this error suddenly appeared with some firmware update, I still use the same setup)

ChibiOS: d2030d88
ArduCopter V3.6.5 (d37125bd)

Same “bad logging” problem here with " Mateksys F405-STD" and “Ardupilot:Copter V3.6.5”.
I tried with many MIcroSD, the problem persists.

Marco

I still have this problem. Any news on it?
Presumably most don’t have the problem or there would be more complaints?

I have Kingston SD 16gb class4, worked perfectly for logging until I upgraded from AC3.4 to AC3.6.7 about two weeks ago.

ChibiOS: d2030d88

Tbh I thought I selected not to upgrade to chibiOS when doing the update but after it said I have it.
How to I switch back easily?

I have logging problems too with 3.6.7. Brand new SANdisk extreme U1. WIth log_backend=1 I get logs now but there is nothing in them.

Have you folks played with the BRD_SD_SLOWDOWN parameter !?

I used to have logging problems on two pixhawk clones up until 3.6.5 iirc, but then it disappeared.

Not available in newer versions.

The BRD_SD_SLOWDOWN is not going to fix it. The problem is the SDIO/MMC pullups and the fix is in master

It’s not clear if this will be backported to 3.6 or not.

See Prearm logging failed and no logs with the version 4.0.3