PPM Redundancy

Hello…
I’m trying to find info on using two receivers for PPM Redundancy going into the Pixhawk…
I am told that RVOSD simply has two PPM inputs and it uses the input with the strongest signal as it’s input signal. Main receiver goes to failsafe then backup receiver is used and if that receiver goes to failsafe then RTH is triggered.
However, I cannot find info to tell me if a Pixhawk can do this… I feel sure that it can but the info on how eludes me…

After considerable study on the subject and research into how this is done, I am more confused than ever…

Can someone clear all of this up?

Am I trying to do something that is totally unnecessary?

Thanks for the help…

Puterjoe
(JoeBob)

Are you using a telemetry radio? To be honest I don’t see a need for ppm redundancy on ardupilot. With multie failsafes, automated flight, and compete flight control possible through mission planner with a game controller, you already have redundancy for all flight actions. If somehow one failed (GCS or radio) you can use the other one.

I have been flying for over 30 years and have never had a receiver failure. Failures occur in things like switches, connectors, motors, and servos. Electronics has become very reliable.

Thanks guys for your responses…
I got to thinking about the fact that there wasn’t a lot of talk about it in ardupilot so it probably wasn’t needed, but I saw where someone used it for their long distance run and thought it might be needed but it didn’t seem like a “normal” thing to use…
Thanks a lot!!
Joe

Recently I had my Dragonlink TX fail on me. I was using DL for both PPM and telemetry, so I didn’t have a way to regain control. I’ve decided to install dedicated telemetry modem (RFD900) so I can at least have a joystick configured in Mission Planner in case I get a problem with DL again. I think some kind of redundancy like this makes total sense.

Hi, I also used to fly with RVOSD and I think PPM redundancy is necessary not only because one receiver could fail, but also in the case you want to take off in one place with your radio and land far way with a friend’s radio, like a long trip.

My equipment is a Futaba radio transmitting in 2,4gz to a tripod with a Thomas Scherrer LRS. The LRS only acepts PPM signal so I use an FRSKY decoder connected to the SBUS port from a Futaba RX. For all this extra stuff I need a BEC to feed the rx and the LRS, and a lipo battery. In the plane there is the LRS receiver connected with PPM output to PPM1 RVOSD input and a compatible Futaba receiver with PPMout connected to the PPM2 input in the RVOSD. Threfore I need reduncacy in the RVODS in order to receive the signal from the LRS or from my radio.