Potentail thrust loss and Very High Battery Sag

thats your problem, at 1400m there is 15% less air, thats where all your power is going.

0.87 kg/cm2 vs 1.02 kg/cm2 at sea level.

1 Like

GeoMuir, that might be the issue…do you have link/any reference, that indicates how much thrust will be lost (from given MTOW at sea level), at certain altitude?

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

eCalc will calculate this also. It’s a useful tool for situations such as these.

2 Likes

if your really struggling to get the weight down you might have to look at something like an onboard generator.

That’s significant. All those manufactures numbers are published based on a “standard day” at sea-level. That explains why your machine was working at 80% just to hover. I’m at 1000m and we see notable performance losses here. If you’re going to go to 2000-2600m your going to need to investigate different propellers and really put that machine on a weight loss program. I would take @dkemxr’s suggestion and use eCalc to figure out what you’re going to need. You will have to pay for a subscription but at the cost of props for this machine you’ll be cash ahead very quickly.

I have made that point many times. I have nothing to gain from promoting Mr. Müller’s excellent product but $8/year is almost nothing even if you are only building a Tiny Whoop.

1 Like

Because your motor imbalance is high, I would recalibrate your ESCs. AND your radio calibration. (Radio calibration first). Just because the controller is giving an ESC a higher PWM value doesn’t mean that the ESC is feeding more power into the motors. Maybe the ESC somehow got recalibrated and it now takes a pulse width of 2200 uSec to go full-throttle.

I also would check the gauge of all the wiring and connections between the battery and the voltage sensor. If those wires or connections have too much resistance, the voltage sensor will report high sag. You can easily find problems using a voltmeter across a single wire. The reading will be the voltage drop of that wire.

@charles_linquist he has fixed the imbalance, see above. the escs cannot be calibrated, they used a fixed range, he is at very high altitude thats why he is using so much power.

Sounds like you need higher pitch props to compensate for the elevated altitude.

Can you suggest me, higher pitch prop available for this motor…i am using default 3090 prop as of now

I don’t know what other sizes are available or compatible with the X8. Possibly a 30x12, but regardless you would need to monitor the current to stay under the maximum the ESC can sustain.

eCalc would answer all those questions.

https://www.ecalc.ch