The ArduPilot development team is very proud to announce the release of APM:Plane 3.8.0. This is a major release, with a lot of new features and improvements. The release has been a long time coming, and the dev team would like to thank everyone who has contributed, in terms of code and documentation as well as the many testers of beta versions of the code.
To help with migration from the 3.7.1 release to 3.8.0 there is a migration guide here:
All users should read the migration guide carefully. While the firmware will try to auto-migrate most settings, please do very careful ground tests before your first flight with 3.8.
In total there have been over 4 thousand changes in the ArduPilot git tree since the 3.7.1 release, with over four hundred of those specific to fixed wing aircraft. Listing all of them in these release notes is not practical, but the following list will give some of the larger
- addition of EKF3 support (disabled by default)
- new SERVO parameter system for servo output configuration
- support for MS5525 airspeed sensor
- support for a wide range of tiltrotor quadplanes
- support for tailsitter aircraft (including vectored tailsitters)
- support for twin-motor aircraft, with differential thrust
- new system for elevon, vtail, flaperon and differential spoiler setup
- support for deep stall landings
- support for dual-gps blending
- support for masking compass types for driver loading
- completely new DMA based and high sample rate IMU drivers
- support for px4pro board from Drotek
- several new compass drivers, new IMU drivers and new GPS drivers
- new MANUAL_RCMASK system for fine-grained MANUAL flight setup
- support for log rotation on disarm
- numerous quadplane improvements
- fixed loiter behaviour with Q_GUIDED_MODE=1
- allow rudder arming in CRUISE and FBWB modes
- fixed bug in transmitter tuning support
- fixed bug in attitude integrator zero on mode change
- added SYSID_ENFORCE parameter
- fixed support for vtail rudder-only planes
- greatly improved automatic landing accuracy
- support for high update rates on all servos with SERVO_RATE parameter
- greatly improved UAVCAN support, with parameters now in CAN_ parameter space
- support for prop-hang on 3D aircraft
- improved quadplane PID logging
- smoother takeoffs for quadplanes
- logging of side-slip and angle-of-attack estimates
- added AETR, pre-mixer logging
- automatic thermalling support
The documentation has had a major update as well, with new setup guides for popular aircraft types, including 4-channel planes, elevon planes, vtail and flaperon setups, tailsitters, quadplanes and tilt-rotors.
Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this release - it has been a long time coming, but I think it was worth the wait. The dev team hopes you enjoy flying it as much as we have enjoyed working on it!
Congratulations on another great release! It will be fun to test some new features in Plane.
Awesome job Tridge!
Full Pixhawk2, The Cube support!
Awesome work Tridge and team!
Many thanks for all the updated features and improvements.
Can’t wait to try out more of the tilt-rotor and differential thrust functions.
I also like the updated docs! Well done.
Thanks for this new great release and for the support of Pixhawk 3 Pro.
Keep the good work!!!
Big thanks for all developers and testers .
pixhawk 2.1 No fix for the external LED on Ic2 bus ?
hell yes!! thanks a million tridge will be putting this to the test on a skywalker 1880, EX-Ranger VTOL, and a firefly6. Again thanks a million!!!
Thank you Tridge and everyone else who contributed!
Congratulations to the team! Amazing work!
I would like to know more about “greatly improved automatic landing accuracy”, what changes have you made or where I can read about those changes (besides the landing wiki doc)?
It turned out that we had a bug in the altitude calculation related to the glide slope for landing. When Michael and Tom reworked the landing code they fixed this bug as a side effect. Since then landing position accuracy has been a lot better.
Thank you Tridge, today I tested 3.8 and landing seem to be more accurate!
Had successful auto mission today with 3.8.0 stable with rtk gps inject for navigation and time stamping photos on VTOL EX-Ranger quadplane, everything worked like a charm! My applied aeronautics albatross will be arriving tomorrow, then a cpl weeks to get it all installed and will be testing that as well.
This is a huge release! thank you very much for the hard work!
I upgraded to 3.8 from 3.6. I notice some behaviours :
- Throttle does not react with esc, strange bip from esc like it does not success to initialize (YEP esc : there is 2 bips then a long multi tone like buzeer pixhawk song but this multi tone was not here). I have to make correspond RC3_* values and SERVO3_*
- Analog airspeed not working after upgrade : I change pixhawk analog to px4 analog and then back to pixhawk analog to make it working.
- My µsd card was good, I use it previous day before upgrading and got a successfull log with 3.6. But when I upgraded to 3.8, bad I/O or that kind of message. I could still read with mavlink from Mission Planner but not log : bad logging. Format sd resolve the problem but I wonder why ! I tried switching back to 3.6, and got logs before formating …
- I saved params (to restore it after), reset to default make reboot pixhawk and with safety swtitch not pressed, motor is running itself.
Hope this could help for users or devs…
This is a huge release! thank you very much for the hard work!
For the camera to trigger control, I would like to be able to join the fixed-point exposure, I am not sure whether there is such a function or I did not find. Fixed-point exposure to help my plane in the ocean patrol beacon in his reasonable position and not destroyed.
Please forgive my English very poor, do not know if you can understand what I want to express!
I don’t understand what you mean - are you referring to triggering at a fixed latitude/longitude? You can do that with mission commands.
Thank you for your reply！
I was talking about taking pictures at fixed latitude and longitude.Follow your tips and I found it
Is there a recommended setup for differential ailerons with two ailerons while maintaining differential throw in manual using 3.8.0?