Pixhawk Startup Sounds: Low - High Beep - What does it mean?

Probably a dumb question here… but what does this beep mean? Instead of the usual startup sound, I am getting this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13-uuPgpcotuEFz0BT-Lqz1gpGFTzCy-v (Note: The first beep is an ESC - the pixhawk sound is around 5 seconds in)

Perhaps it’s worth noting the following (though it makes the sound above regardless):

• ARMING_CHECK set to 0
  • ARMING_REQUIRE set to 0
  • BRD_SAFETYENABLE set to 0

I would review all the sound files pixhawk makes… but it seems the site which hosts sound files for review is down (http://ardupilot.org/rover/docs/common-sounds-pixhawkpx4.html?highlight=sounds). In the meantime, perhaps someone can provide some input?

Much appreciated!

So it’s the quieter sound at about 5sec right? I don’t recognise that sounds actually. I’m not sure it’s from the flight controller…

Txs for the report on the broken sounds links. hopefully we can fix that shortly.

It’s definitely from the flight controller, as it will make the sound when plugged into USB where the ESC and such are not able to make any sounds.

Interestingly… I was not able to get the boat to navigate using 3.2.1. I downgrading to 3.1.x and it works fine… sound is either the same or no sound though. It’s running a Pixhawk 2.4.6 clone. It could be I just don’t know the new tuning params for 3.2.1 but it was bad - in auto it goes backwards and steering just does circles - tried channel reversing, etc. I will try it with another Pixhawk but am wondering if there may be a hardware problem at play.

Does the boat drive OK in manual modes?

If you’ve got a dataflash log that will help. Check out the “Downloading logs via mavlink” section of this wiki page if you haven’t downloaded logs before.

A number of things have changed between 3.1 and 3.2.1 but it should be possible to get the vehicle navigating at least as well with 3.2.1. I suspect the vehicle just needs to be re-tuned. Here’s a guide but in short, the most important parameter is the ATC_STR_RAT_FF.

Indeed, I finally took the time to hit the lake and get the tuning worked out on the new firmware. It was the ATC_STR_RAT_FF param. Boat is tracking very well now. Loving the improvements!

1 Like

Excellent! really glad to hear it’s working!

It’s going to continue to get better I think. We’ve still got a few features like rally points and follow to port over from copter and then there is a slightly more difficult navigation improvement we hope will allow the “ackermann” steering vehicles (i.e. separate steering and throttle controls) make more consistently tighter corners at higher speeds.