PIXHAWK on-board compass and external compass

hi, i’m not sure if this is a issue or it’s just programmed like this. I’m using the 3dr gps + compass module with the pixhawk, after calibration the movement of the compass heading seems like a average or combination of both the onboard compass and the external. so if i move the board around the heading changes, but slowly readjust to the external compass heading. or if i move the external compass the heading VERY slowly moves to the direction i pointed to. (board and external compass are not mounted and separated atm). just want to know if this is normal or is it odd?

Either the external or internal compass is used, not both. However there is inertial navigation as well which actually works without the compass so will show compass rose movement as if the compass was attached.

If when you boot and connect, the direction initially always shows north no matter which way the craft is pointing then the compass is not working, is not recognized or is disabled. If when you boot it shows east or west, etc, depending on the direction the craft is pointing then the compass is working.

[quote=“Graham Dyer”]Either the external or internal compass is used, not both. However there is inertial navigation as well which actually works without the compass so will show compass rose movement as if the compass was attached.

If when you boot and connect, the direction initially always shows north no matter which way the craft is pointing then the compass is not working, is not recognized or is disabled. If when you boot it shows east or west, etc, depending on the direction the craft is pointing then the compass is working.[/quote]

i understand that. so when the external COMPASS is attached the inertial navigation and the external compass are both used at the same time? just need a simple answer as to what i described is normal.

When you are using external compass, and this is, actually working, you’ll have heading from this, however, if this is not working, for some reason, the inertial navigation, given by the gyroscopes action, will move on the compass rose, but this is not a real heading, you can’t trust on this.

Graham Dyer: “If when you boot and connect, the direction initially always shows north no matter which way the craft is pointing then the compass is not working, is not recognized or is disabled. If when you boot it shows east or west, etc, depending on the direction the craft is pointing then the compass is working.”