Pixhawk Mission Planning

I have a pixhawk setup in an airplane and would like to set waypoints and fly missions. I have mission planner installed on a laptop, but at the field I do not have an internet connection, thus I can’t get a satellite view the flying field. I have an iPhone 6 and can download Mav Pilot which I believe would allow me to plan missions, but what do I need to add to the pixhawk in order to establish either a wifi or bluetooth connection to the iPhone. I could be wrong, but I don’t believe the pixhawk has built-in wifi or bluetooth. Mission planning is new to me and I could use some help in getting things setup.

Thanks,

Keith

You can prefetch satellite data in the Mission Planner, then you won’t need to access the Internet at field.

More info here:
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-planning-a-mission-with-waypoints-and-events.html

Regards.

Or, if your iPhone is running IOS 9.x then you can create a wifi hot spot and connect your laptop to your iPhone and get a internet connection through that hot spot.

Cheers,

I’m going to first try planning a mission at home for our field 10 miles away and then save, and reload once I get to the field. I’ll see how that goes first.

After that I may try the hotspot with my iPhone. However, does the pixhawk have a ‘built-in wifi’ or do I need to buy something to plug into the pixhawk. If I need to buy something, what would you recommend and where would I get it.

Thanks.

Pixhawk does not have wifi or blutooth as far as I know and I’m pretty sure about that. 99.9%

You can connect your laptop to your pixhawk via a USB / Micro USB cable.

Or if you have a 3DR or RFD Telemetry radio set-up you can connect over the air.

Cheers,

Hi

I use one of the standard radio modules, one on the model and the other connected to my phone, as my phone does not support anything connected to its USB port I have connected a Bluetooth module to the radio module and power that by a single cell Lipo then connect the phone to it via Bluetooth

It does seem to work ok

Thanks. I may give that a try.

If you want to use Pixhawk with MAV Pilot you will need the ESP8266 Wifi module or similar to connect it.
see http://www.communistech.com/forums/forum/tech-support/ for specify MAV Pilot support