Pixhawk - Minim OSD connection to Laptop?

I have purchased a Minim OSD and Pixhawk from 3DR. I have no problem connecting my Pixhawk to Mission Planner but the Minim OSD will not connect to the OSD config tool. Does the Minim connect via the Pixhawk USB connector when connected to the Pixhawk telemetry port?
I read on other forums about an “FTDI cable” - is this required to connect the Minim OSD to a laptop? If so, why on earth is the Minim OSD not sold with it, or customers at least advised to purchase it with the Minim?
Will other cables work?

@Jono2014,
Did you follow these setup instructions: http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-minim-osd-on-screen-display-for-fpv-index/
The 3DR Minim OSD product webpage http://store.3drobotics.com/products/apm-minimosd-rev-1-1 clearly states that a FTDI cable is required for setup/programming.
Regards,
TCIII GM

Thanks for the quick response TCIII!
I did follow the setup procedure as specified but clearly missed the requirement for the FTDI cable when ordering from 3DR - my mistake . It will take a while to get the original cable from 3DR, can I use another USB to serial converter like this in the meanwhile?: communica.co.za/Catalog/Details/P0007172259
SME FOCA-USB TO SERIAL ADAPTER
Foca is a compact USB to serial adapter equipped with BEE (20pin 2.0mm) sockets. With integrated FT232 IC, It can be used for programming or communicating with MCU applications. On the other hand, you may connect your PC to various wireless applications via the BEE compatible modules.
Features
•Reset button for BEE modules
•3.3V and 5V dual power output
•3.3V and 5V IO compatible
•USB 2.0 protocol
•BitBang mode ready
•Application
◦USB Serial adapter to communicate with TTL/CMOS level Serial devices
◦Programmer for Arduino and compatible boards
◦USB Adapter of BEE modules for PC wireless function
Specifications
•Module Type : Adaptor
•Weight : 10.00g
•Board Size : 4.7 x 2.6 x 0.87cm
•Version : 2.2
•Operation Level : Digital 3.3V | Digital 5V
•Power Supply : USB 5V

Kind regards
Jono

@Jono2014,
I have successfully used other USB to TTL serial adapters also so if the pin outs and connections are correct it should work.
Regards,
TCIII GM

Many thanks TCIII