Pixhawk doesn't generate PWM pulses properly

Hi all, I have a problems with a Pixhawk, because it doesn’t generate properly the PWM signal to the ESC/Motors.

The drone components are:

• Pixhawk1 (upgraded to 3.5.3 release, although I have the same problem in 3.4.6) with Mission Planner 1.3.4.6 or QGroundControl (MOT_PWM_type=0, MOT_PWM_MIN=0, MOT_PWM_MAX=0, RC3_MAX=2006, RC3_MIN=982, MOT_SPIN_MIN=.015, MOT_SPIN_ARM=0.10, MOT_SPIN_MAX=0.95)
  • Frame: Tarot 680 (Hexa motor)
  • ESC: 6x EMAX Lighting 30A BLHeli
  • Motors. 6x EMAX MT3510

When I power the Pixhawk and press the safety button, then 4 motors (motor 3,4,5,6) start spinning (2 of them constantly and 2 of them start/stop). Theoretically no motors should spin because the drone is not armed yet.

Once I arm the flight controller, then only 4 motors start spinning constantly (motor 1/2 doesn’t spin). Then the only way to stop all the motors is press again the safety button (motors continue spinning when only I disarm). Due to this failure, I have not been able to calibrate ESC through Pixhawk and also the buttons in “motor test” section in Mission Planner doesn’t do anything (even “stop motor” button is not stopping motors).

I discard any problems in the ESC/motors because I can calibrate ESC connecting them directly to the receiver and once calibrated the motors works fine.

Could it be a hw failure? is there something I could do just to debug?

Thanks in advance

Jordi

1 Like

from the wiki:

Pixhawk ESC issues

Some ESCs have been reported as not working with Pixhawk.

The Pixhawk should work with every ESC that works with a normal RC receiver (because it sends the same type of signal) but there is one known exception, the EMAX ESC.

In most cases problems are due to incorrect wiring. Always connect signal and ground. Check your ESC type to decide how to connect the +5V line. On APM2.x you could get away with using the power ground as the signal return with the APM but for Pixhawk you must connect both the signal and the signal ground in order to make the ESC work.

For more information see this page and the video here.
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/connect-escs-and-motors.html?highlight=esc
https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/issues/2094

Hello,

Should be in the range 1950 – 1050

Redo the endpoints of your RC Transmitter then the RC calibration.

Marc

Hi Mike, the wiring is well done. The ESC and Pixhawk are well connected using ground and signal in both sides. See photo:

Probably EMAX ESC (Emax Lightning 30A BLHeli) doesn’t support Pixhawk. Does someone know which components should I remove/modify?

Find attached a photo including the components:

Thanks in advance

Jordi

Hi Marc, I have tried it without success. I guess the problem as Mike pointed is related to EMAX ESC.

Thanks

Jordi

Have you set the frame type correctly to a hex? You have to do it manually in 3.5.3

Why is MOT_PWM_Max set to 0?

MOT_PWM_MAX: PWM output maximum
Note: This parameter is for advanced users

This sets the max PWM value in microseconds that will ever be output to the motors, 0 = use input RC3_MAX
Range Units
0 - 2000 PWM in microseconds

================================================

I would start all over again from scratch. Load arduplane to erase parameters and then reload Copter and go through all the calibrations. But remember to set your frame type.

Hi Mike, I did all you mentioned (set again frame type hexa x, change MOT_PWM_MAX/MIN, start from scratch…) and I got same results. The problem continue there. The only explanation is the EMAX ESC incompatiblity.

Yes probably, at least you checked first before swapping them with something else.

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/set-motor-range.html