Pixhawk Accelerometer Calibration Fails

Hello:

I recently (about a month ago) purchased a 3DR Y6 kit with a Pixhawk controller. I have just started to play with the controller but have not gone very far with it. I installed Mission Planner 1.3.10 build 1.1.5369.11976 and has successfully loaded version 120 of firmware to the controller. However, I am stuck on calibrating the accelerometer. When use the Terminal mode of MP to calibrate the accelerometer, I got the following log:

setup] accel
Initialising gryos
Init Gyro**Place vehicle level and press any key.
Place vehicle on its LEFT side and press any key.
Place vehicle on its RIGHT side and press any key.
Place vehicle nose DOWN and press any key.
Place vehicle nose UP and press any key.
Place vehicle on its BACK and press any key.
Offset[0]: 8.60 -2.14 -0.19
Scaling[0]: 0.01 0.61 0.43
Offsets[1]: 0.94 0.94 0.98
Scaling[1] 1.00 0.99 1.03
Calibration FAILED
INS

G_off: -0.00, 0.21, -0.14
A_off: 0.00 0.00, 0.00
A_scale: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

Is this an indication that the Pixhawk is bad? Or I am doing something wrong following the calibration procedure?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Jay Yang

When you flip through the various positions, be sure that you are holding the Y6 so that the Pixhawk is on its left/right/nose/back; etc.
You might even need to prop the MR in position so that it is steady before you “Press any button”.

Here is exactly what I did:

1. I have removed pixhawk from the y6 frame completely, and removed all connections to it except for the buzzer, the switch and the USB cable.
  2. I connect the USB cable to my computer, then I hear buzzer sound indicating it started ok.
  3. Started the MP, select the Terminal Tab, select the PX4/PIXHAWK option and press the Connect button, then it tells me that PIXHAWK rebooted, then I get ArduCopter v3.1.5 prompt.
  4. I entered setup, then accel command,
  5. I placed PIXHAWK on my desk facing up with the white arrow pointing away from me,
  6. When I see the prompt "Place vehicle level and press any key, I pressed a key right away because the PIXHAWK is already positioned correctly.
  7. When I see the prompt “Place vehicle on its LEFT side”, I turn the PIXHAWK to rest on the left long edge (with the white still pointing away from me), make sure it is stable before pressing a key.
  8. When I see the prompt “Place vehicle on its RIGHT side”, I turn the PIXHAWK to rest on the right long edge (with the white arrow still pointing away from me), make sure it is stable before pressing the return key.
  9. When I see the prompt “Place vehicle nose DOWN”, I turn the PIXHAWK to rest on top short edge (with the White arrow pointing down toward the table), wait for it to be stable before pressing the return key,
  10. When I see the prompt “Place vehicle nose UP”, I turn the PIXHAWK to rest on the bottom short edge (with the White arrow pointing upward), wait for it to be stable before pressing the return key.
  11. When I see the promt “Place vehicle on its back”, I turn the PIXHAWK upside down, (with the white arrow is now at the bottom contacting the table), wait for it to be stable before pressing the return key.

After all this work, I still get the error message “Calibration FAILED”.

Again, am I doing anything wrong, or is the unit defective?

Thanks

Hey Jay,

One thing that usually trips out the board is using the wrong GPS cable, make sure you’re using the 6 wire cable and not the 5 wire (for APM). Another thing to check in flight data under the status tab below the heads up display is az, when leveled (assuming it’s not calibrated) it should read -1000 +/- 100, if you get values higher or lower than that, your accelerometer chip might be bad.

Give it a try and write us at help@3drobotics.com

-santiago

was this ever resolved? I have this exact issue with my brand new Pixhawk and my az value is 2900(ish). I was unable to calibrate via APM or Mission Planner on two different operating systems.

@,
Try reading this thread over at DIY Drones: http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/pixhawk-bad-accel-health-apm-3-2-collecting-data
Regards,
TCIII GM

I did read that thread earlier however the issues discussed seem to be cold weather related. I was doing this in my kitchen and never was able calibrate.

Yesterday I got the same issue with a brand new out of the box pixhawk. After hours of troubleshooting I can confirm the card is faulty. Goes right back to RMA.