Pixhawk 4 Mini shows erratic Vertical Speed in OSD

For a long time I have been using PixRacer as my primary FC for all my Ardupilot projects. Once I decided to start to build QuadPlanes I needed something with a little more capability and decided on the Pixhawk4 Mini. I noticed that that for some reason using the same OSD board w/ same firmware the VS is very erratic. It is useless. I rechecked the PixRacer and it was pretty stable. I don’t believe its the firmware on the OSD as I have tried both NightGhost and MWOSD both with the same results. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this. The flight characteristics look pretty stable and good but I have not been flying very long and worry that as I expand the testing this might indicate other issues. I have 3 different short OSD DVR captures to indicate the examples.

PixRacer - MicroMinimOSD - NightScout

Pixhawk4 Mini - MicroMinimOSD - NightScout

Pixhawk4 Mini - MicroMinimOSD - MWOSD

did you check your logs?

I looked through the logs and nothing glaring looks wrong with Alt changes from both GPS and Baro…

i guess it‘s NKF1.VD you want to check for a relevant discrepancy in fluctuation on pixracer vs PH4mini. i too wouldn‘t expect much difference, but that‘ll likely rule out essential / critical issues.
it‘s been quite a while since i‘ve last used standalone OSDs, but maybe check your serial port’s SRn_EXTRA rates. you’ll likely want to set the AHRS / attitude / vfrHUD rates to 5 Hz minimum. maybe settings differ on your pixracer vs PH4? climbrate is on EXTRA2 iirc.
on a sidenote, i just checked with MWOSD 1.8 and found it‘s using ft/s instead of ft/min on imperial, which looks a lot less scary to my metric eyes :wink:

Thanks for the input. I will double check NKF1.VD. I was under the impression that rates are automatically set when both TX and RX are connected. But I will also double check the rates.

MWOSD 1.8.2 and up does request rates afaik, not sure about other osd fw and individual versions.

I dug a little deeper and I think MWOSD does have a problem in their Imperial conversion as well which will add to the overall inaccuracy. It looks like they take the m/s and convert to cm/s then they multiply by 0.32808. It looks like they missed the part where they did the first conversion. They should multiply by 0.032808. Also I think you are right that ft/m is really what everyone in the imperial system is used to so I will update the conversion to ft/m (1.9685) and change the icon. I will see if it starts to become usable at this point. I don’t think that nightghost had this problem but maybe. Thanks again for your input…

I checked NKF1.VD from the pixhawk mini and it does look a little erratic. I haven’t had a chance to look at pixracer NKF1.VD yet so I don’t know if this is normal.