Pixhawk 3.1.2 compassmot

Hi All,

I trust this is in the correct forum? Apologies if not…

I understand that the compassmot function is not working on the pixhawk giving NAN outputs as i have experienced on my hexa running 3.1.2 and compass/gps as supplied with pixhawk.

My question: how safe is it to fly without knowing/qualifying/calibrating the interference from the motors/ high current systems, etc on the compass? Will this cause issues/flyaways/crashes with GPS reliant modes?

Can i fly without doing the compassmot or stay grounded until this is corrected?
Is there any tell tale signs too look for to indicate adverse interference?

you can fly, but all modes that use navigation can/will be affected by bad compass calibration, or influence from other fields.
To test that the UAS performs reasonably well without:
Fly with the same weight that you normally would. (same load= same current)
In stabilize, set heading towards north, take some speed , and when at speed - switch to loiter.
observe that the machine decelerate, stop and holds position correctly (and does not run circles.)
now, try the same test with heading of the machine (yaw) is in at least 7 other directions. - which way you fly is not important - only different yaw in relation to magnetic north.

Finally - yes, compassmot is a great feature and I hope we get it working soon :slight_smile:

[color=#0080FF]I think I may have this same issue. While trying to track it down I managed to catch this spike in the log while in Loiter mode and the copter tried to take off on a wild ride. I managed to get it back in Stabilize mode before it hit anything. My compass won’t calibrate any better than -99, 77, 277. The pod is holding the Compass+GPS up as far away from the top of the copter as the wires will allow (~80mm).[/color]

[attachment=1]BigSpike3.png[/attachment]
[color=#0080FF]Would compassmot address this issue? I attached my log (turned up to almost everything) for further analysis if needed.

Thanks for your help.
Dave (W4DJW)[/color]

@W4

My compass won’t calibrate any better than -99, 77, 277

Those are not un reasonable numbers on Pixhawk. The compass cal gives higher numbers on Pixhawk than APM. (We have a scaling problem on APM. They are reported about 1/3 lower than they should be)

@Richard. It is safe to fly. If the vehicle toilet bowls then you would need to run Compass mot. You can do that in master to get the co-efficients and then come back to 3.1.2 to fly.

[quote=“Craig3DR”]@W4

My compass won’t calibrate any better than -99, 77, 277

Those are not un reasonable numbers on Pixhawk. The compass cal gives higher numbers on Pixhawk than APM. (We have a scaling problem on APM. They are reported about 1/3 lower than they should be)

@Richard. It is safe to fly. If the vehicle toilet bowls then you would need to run Compass mot. You can do that in master to get the co-efficients and then come back to 3.1.2 to fly.[/quote]

Craig3DR, When you say “You can do that in master”, what does master mean?

In another thread you mentioned; “You can also load trunk and do a compass mot there and then revert back to 3,1.2” What do you mean by trunk?

trunk is latest from here

firmware.diydrones.com/Copter/latest/

Thanks for the info Craig3DR. I’ve been flying with the -99, 77, 277 setting and all is fine. It just worried me that the ‘Z’ component was so high. Now I can stop the worrying and have fun flying. :smiley: