PixHawk 2 missing Console and OTG ports

Hi,

About two years ago I bought a Pixhawk 2 and never used it.

Today I started to play around with it and noticed that my Pixhawk 2, has no side USB ports?? There are two holes for USB ports but no connectors…what am I missing?

Most PixHawk 2 that I have seen in pics have two USB ports.

Can someone help me understand why my PixHawk doesn’t have the Console and OTG ports? Is that normal.

Also, as Intel has discontinued Edison board. What computers people are using with PixHawk 2 these days?

Thanks for your help.

If there are no ports, then you have a standard carrier board which does not prepared for accepting Edison board. It is normal.

We use whatever board we find. From Raspberry to Nvidia Jetson. Check https://goodrobots.github.io/maverick/current/#/ Maverick for a very good prebuilt companion software…

Thank you for your prompt reply. Very helpful.

May I ask you few more questions?

1. PixHawk 2 has two GPS ports, however the ports are not the exact same type. So, If I wanted to connect another GPS (such as Here) to port GPS2, do I have to buy another type of cable? Where can I get that cable from?..sorry little confused.

2, Do I need to do anything special within Mission planner to enable two GPS’s? if you can point me out in the right direction. Thanks

1. I am also unable to find any off the shelf Here GPS antenna mounts. tried to print one using a 3D printer but its no good. Any ideas where can I get one from?

2. I was also planning to use RFD 900+ Modems with the PixHawk 2, but just learned that RFD 900+ only supports MAV 1 and doesn’t support MAV 2. For MAV 2, the correct Modem is RFD 900X. My question is what is the difference between MAV 1 and MAV 2? Which one is better? Is there any documentation I can read?

I will check out the link you provided.

Thanks

##Do I need to do anything special within Mission planner to enable two GPS’s? if you can point me out in the right direction. Thanks

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-gps-blending.html

All RFD modems are capable of Mavlink1 and Mavlink2. Choose which is fits your budget.
You can find many antenna mounts on thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3353193 this one looks fine.
ProfiCNC provides cable set for Cube, which includes cable for GPS2 port. http://www.proficnc.com/all-products/81-ph21-cable-set-please-contact-salehexaero-for-purchasement.html

Andras,

This is what I thought that all RFD modems will support MAV 1 and LAV 2, but I got an email from rfdesign.com when I inquired about RFD 900+ modem and he is saying the following, “I would also note that the 900+ does not support MAV2 packets so you will need to ensure that the pixhawk is set up for MAV1, if you need MAV2 features this is supported by the 900X modems.”

Are they wrong?

I still don’t know the difference between MAV 1 and MAV 2. Any docs I can read?

p.s. Checked out Maverick program, AWESOME…This is the kind of solution I have been looking for ages…thanks so much for making me to go in the right direction.

Thanks Jeff…I am assuming same settings will work for PixHawk 2.

I checked the source, it seems that RFDesign did not implemented the latest (already three years old) changes in the SiK firmware, which adds Mavlink 2.0 compatibility. So based on that, and the assumption that their SiK firmware is identical with the source at their github, they indeed does not support Mavlink 2.0 on the non x radios.

Ok I ordered RFD 900X… to play with.

Sorry, I am a bundle of questions lately, as I am very new to PixHawk 2.1

1. Also, I have an old PixHawk 2.4.8 Air Speed sensor. Will that work with PixHawk 2.1 or do I need to buy a new one?

2. Same question, re Benewake DE LIDAR. Its designed for PixHawk 2.4.8, I am assuming with a new cable and connector I can use it with PixHawk 2.1, using the IC2 Port along with expansion board.

It appears that PixHawk 2.1 is lacking detailed documentation or maybe I just don’t know where to find it…

I am designing a HexaCopter (80% ready) with pretty much everything that is out there as development and test bed for testing out various technologies. I have already tested it using PixHawk 2.4.8 and it has lift capacity of 25Kg. https://youtu.be/nwRafwC5_kY Fly beautifully :slight_smile:

I have designed it this time as a multi stack Drone. Power stack (Based on Mauch dual battery (fail/safe) support for redundancy), Switchable RX’s between Futaba, Drangon Link V3 1000 mW RX, and Scherrer/UHF (Military Grade) receivers (switch b/w either), two video feeds, HDMI and 4G/LTE Video feed, Benewake for Obstruction…

My next goal is to add a aerial mapping (Creating Point Clouds). Still searching for an economical LIDAR… Gee…Checked Velodyne LIDAR pricing, is like $10,000 + dollars. Crazy…emesent.io solution, $37,000 with a monthly subscription even further crazy pricing.

Any cheap alternatives? I once posted an article on DIY Drone when i started digging into LIDARs in general.

Thanks for your help.