Servers by jDrones

Ping2020(i) not showing traffic?

arduplane
arducopter

(Jace McCown) #1

Has anyone got a ping2020i installed and working?

I’ve got it on telem 2 port, serial2_baud = 57, serial2_protocol =2, sr2_ADSB = 5 (why isn’t serial 5 available on these options? I wanted to put the adsb on serial 5), rebooted, led flashing (though I can’t tell which thanks to them being buried in the red case, beneath the opaque gps receiver…)

no traffic in Mission planner… despite being across the street (literally, I can see the tower) from a controlled airport.

(Evan Williams) #2

I know the PingRX needs MAVLINK1 (serial2_protocol = 1) for proper operation. This probably translates to the Ping2020i as well.
You can confirm this via this page.

I would also double check the RX/TX pins, as uAvionix once had an issue of reversing them on their supplied Pixhawk 2.1 cables.

I have a Ping2020i in front of me (yet to go in a plane and untested), so I can help step through it at a later time if necessary.

(Jace McCown) #3

I had seen the thread on the pin reversal, and gave that a shot, can’t say either way which works, though the docs supplied make me think the pins did need reversing, but I cut up my cable to connect it to serial 5 (before learning that wouldn’t work) so I can’t be sure. Their docs say use protocol mavlink 2, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was wrong somehow. I didn’t try mavlink 1 so I’ll give that a shot.

Let me know how it goes and I’ll do the same.

(Amilcar Lucas) #4

What ArduPilot FW version are you using ?

(Jace McCown) #5

arduplane 3.8.5, good question. 3.7 added the ping2020

(Evan Williams) #6

Ah, you seem to be right for the MAVLINK2 setting. It is even mentioned on the same page I linked, further down.

That said, also check your stream rate (SR1_ADSB) to ensure it is able to send things to Mission Planner properly.

(Jace McCown) #7

yup, default seems to be 5hz

(Jace McCown) #8

So I swapped mavlink 1 and 2 and it didnt affect anything that I could tell, re-insured I had the rx and tx lined up too. Called the tower and they are picking me up when in TX, so thats good. Also realized I was using 115baud before and its supposed to be 57, but that didn’t seem to affect it either way.

(Ted A) #9

are you able to see live traffic in mission planner? and are you able to do the following " To test the system you can compare with flights shown on flightradar24.com.
I have the ping2020 W/ FYXnav-B and I’m not having good results, I parked 1500’ from the airport radar tower basically in the front yard and I do not see me on this site or ANY ads-b service.
" Uavionix ping2020 W/PingNav Baro ADS-B setup " my post

(Jace McCown) #10

seeing traffic in MP is the problem I’m having, I was able to call my airport and I showed up on their system, but I didn’t show in flightradar24. Maybe a filter set to not display ground aircraft?

(Evan Williams) #11

I can confirm that grounded aircraft generally do not display in flightradar24.

I am in a building right next to the airport with 20+ active transceivers (mostly light GA), and I can see them all via PingRX, but they’re no-shows for flightradar24.

(Ted A) #12

idk, this is very frustrating as it has super simple setup instructions, its making me feel dumb…

Uavionix tech support said…

"The autopilot will always win. The customer has 2 configuration sources. The FYXnav and the autopilot. It needs to be one or the other and not both.

I would recommend setting the MP serial port to use Mavlink 1. I think that will resolve the configuration conflict.

That would be

SERIAL2_PROTOCOL 1

Alternatively, they could remove the TX wire from the autopilot to the back to the ping2020 4 pin JST. This would allow them to use the 2020 as a receiver with MP and still configre via the FYXnav.”

do u get two connection options in mission planner at all after connecting?
i.e.
COM4-1-QUADROTOR
COM4-1-ADSB

(Jace McCown) #13

I hadn’t noticed… I’ll check next time I play with it