PIDs for Iris when using the gimbal and long leg kit

Hello,

The Iris performs very poorly with the stock PIDs and the 3DR long leg kit with tarot gimbal. Lateral and vertical control authority is dramatically different with all the extra mass.

What PIDs do 3DR specify for this ready-to-fly unit, when used in this configuration? I can only find one “stock” parameter list.

Thanks,

Austin

2nd on this question!

I have noticed the same thing I don’t expect it to be a great flier with the size and weight. But would hope it could be a little better and would rather not do a full PID calibration with all that in the air.

and here I thought it was just my old shaky hands on the stick in stabilize mode… but yes… the PIDs being adjusted should settle matters down… I suspect a LOT of this have this need…

what about it.. any 3DR person want to post what is used  by those who know?

HZL

Hello I just posted
Iris with Tarot Gimbal to the list of frame types. You can download it from Mission Planner
github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/ … mbal.param

Please give it a try and tell me what you think. It flew well for me.

So if we are using the gimbal we SHOULD load this and not the default params ??

Craig,

Just did a very brief test flight with the new PIDs, and the Iris is much more nimble and responsive. It still takes a lot of finesse on throttle to keep a stable altitude with the additional weight, but it feels a lot more like it does with just the short legs and the stock PIDs.

Thanks,

Austin

I have not even put the gimbal on yet, however i have the taller legs on and the performance off this thing is terrible. I cant even see how it could carry the gimbal with gopro. I sure hope changing pids makes it perform better. Definitely needs something.

What do you mean by the performance is terrible? I thought it flew great out of the box. Altitude and position held great. If you are talking about it pitch and rolling constantly to correct for wind etc, thats the whole point of using a gimbal to cancel it out.

It holds fine. that’s what its supposed to do in alt hold and loiter. But other than that, getting from point A to B and for flying around in attitude its slow and don’t climb for beans. especially in loiter. Its better now that I changed the pids but it feels like it weighs a ton even with out the gimbal on it. I have the say I love the way it descends thou.
But I’m also comparing it to my phantom 2 with full fpv and gimbal. (and I should not be because its not apples to apples).I actually thought it would out perform the phantom with no payload. As far as altitude hold and loiter goes, it does hold better than the Phantom in my opinion. way better. and for filming that’s a plus.

[quote=“bonito13”]It holds fine. that’s what its supposed to do in alt hold and loiter. But other than that, getting from point A to B and for flying around in attitude its slow and don’t climb for beans. especially in loiter. Its better now that I changed the pids but it feels like it weighs a ton even with out the gimbal on it. I have the say I love the way it descends thou.
But I’m also comparing it to my phantom 2 with full fpv and gimbal. (and I should not be because its not apples to apples).I actually thought it would out perform the phantom with no payload. As far as altitude hold and loiter goes, it does hold better than the Phantom in my opinion. way better. and for filming that’s a plus.[/quote]

Ya I bumped up it’s max speed. I agree its climb rate is a little lacking and it is heavy with the gimbal. The motors do get quite warm (about 80 degrees outside) and the hover current is 20 amps, whichs is higher than I hoped. Not sure how well it’s going to do in the summer with temps of over 100. Time to experiment with different props and possibly different motors.

[quote=“cctaylor410”][quote=“bonito13”]It holds fine. that’s what its supposed to do in alt hold and loiter. But other than that, getting from point A to B and for flying around in attitude its slow and don’t climb for beans. especially in loiter. Its better now that I changed the pids but it feels like it weighs a ton even with out the gimbal on it. I have the say I love the way it descends thou.
But I’m also comparing it to my phantom 2 with full fpv and gimbal. (and I should not be because its not apples to apples).I actually thought it would out perform the phantom with no payload. As far as altitude hold and loiter goes, it does hold better than the Phantom in my opinion. way better. and for filming that’s a plus.[/quote][/quote]

Ya I bumped up it’s max speed. I agree its climb rate is a little lacking and it is heavy with the gimbal. The motors do get quite warm (about 80 degrees outside) and the hover current is 20 amps, whichs is higher than I hoped. Not sure how well it’s going to do in the summer with temps of over 100. Time to experiment with different props and possibly different motors.[/quote

I just ordered a set of the 880 kv motors to experiment with along with some different propellers. Im also going to try some other props with the stock motors. I will let all know what I find out. I would like to be able to get it to carry some extra weight as I would like to put retracts on it. I could do it now, but I would not be able to carry the gimbal and camera with them.

I was thinking about grabbing some t motors and a 4s pack. I need to weigh my Iris. It hovers at about 21 amps and 650 throttle, definitely on the high side. I do have more than just a gimbal on it though :slight_smile:. Also had to crank up my yaw rate p to .8 cause the performance was so bad on holding a heading. It’s nice to be able to set a gain to a knob for in flight tuning. That coupled with some fpv goggles took care of the problem quickly.

If the IRIS is hovering at a current of 21A how is are the 20A ESCs not burning up?? Or is that 5.25A/Motor giving a total current of 21A?

It’s hovering at a total of 21 amps and the ESC can handle 20 amps per motor. Nevertheless everything does get pretty toasty with that setup.

Craig3DR,

I flew with the new param’s and it worked great, very smooth flying. However, the footage from my GoPro still had a slight vibration.

My logs can be downloaded from the DroneShare website: droneshare.com/view/cep74ml

Please let me know if there is any adjustments I can make to reduce the vibrations with the gimbal.

Thank you

erick please look in the other threads about gimbal for tuning info…