Passthrough telemetry over CRSF (crossfire)

thanks for the replies guys, hope to get it working, will update here however it goes.
should i download the CRSF passthrough telemetry test version 0.9 and use MP tp i[date the fw on the fc with this custom fw? and should i download the Yaapu script Master or the 1.9.1 Beta1?

Go for 0.9 and yaapu 1.9.1beta

thanks Alex !!! its excellent work you have done for the whole community, i just hope i get it working with my mediocre skills

Hi! Does crossfire link can send both CRSF telemetry and raw MavLink data at ounce?
I believe that even if so that would drastically sacrifice performance of both.
I haven’t used crossfire yet, but I am planning to put it to work as reliable RC link and MavLink communication for Ardupilot.
Because I love Yaapu’s telemetry script I was thinking how to make it possible and efficient at once.
I was thinking to use MavlinkToPassthru solution, but still there is no simple way to inject S.Port data generated by MavlinkToPassthru to OpenTX (S.Port pin in external JR bay is used by CRSF protocol). I guess I could use crossfire module as PPM and maybe then I could inject S.Port data from MavlinkToPassthru (if S.Port pin is active in module set to PPM in OpenTX)

TBS doesn’t support both - Alex works around this by tunneling some of the data in a custom CRSF frame

Oh I see. Thank you for clarification.
How about feeding raw MavLink data to external serial port (as in RadioMaster TX16 for example) and have Yaapu’s lua telemetry script to decode those Mavlink messages? I know that would limit usability to only those OpenTX radios which have external serial port, but it seems nice solution to be able to keep MavLink data being sent by Crossfire.

1 Like

UPDATE:

this is where i have reached with my test.
changed it to the following parameter values:

SERIAL1_PROTOCOL = 23

RC_OPTOIONS = (32 + 256) = 288

BRD_ALT_CONFIG = 1 (i still did not understand what was this for as i am now not using the sbus pinout instead connected for CRSF Ch1 and Ch2 from the micro rx to the T1 and R1 pads on the Matek F405wing)

SERIAL2_PROTOCOL= -1 (i did this to avoid any sort of clash so disabled the sbus/R2-T2)

SERIAL5_PROTOCOL = 2 (connected the Mavlink tx and rx connection from the micro rx Ch3 and Ch4 to the R5 and T5 pads on the fc)

discovered about 21 sensors and RFMD showed mode 2, rediscovered and it became 33 those new ones seemed like useless stuff, regardless chose Yaapu x9 as script for the telemetry screen, on the Yaapu telem page it said Disarmed tried different things but nothing happened
on the Yaapu telem screen in the menu it has options to enable / disable and at the end of the list it said Enable CRSF - NO and same for Pix4 Flightmodes, turned both of them ON, still nothing happened, did a reboot and could hear all sort of audio warnings etc, and kept getting a bad gps buzzing sound from the TX
and in the Yaapu script i could see the Bad Gps msg showing and bunch of other msgs, while before the reboot it gave a Disarmed msg, which changed to No telemetry after the reboot and now that no telem msg has gone and on top i can see R99 but no data/text is showing in Yaapu no gps coordinated or the horizon moving etc but the audio msgs are being generated automatically including the warning buzz regarding bad gps which i must not have calibrated.
now i am stuck in this situation where i know its functioning but yet i cannot get any data on the screen everything shows as Zero 0, if any of you guys can assist with the final steps id be greatful

Hi,

I just loaded your test version 0.9 on my Matek H743-Wing FC. I also set SERIAL1_PROTOCOL = 23 and RC_OPTIONS = 288 as requested.

My crossfire equipment (Micro TX V2 and Nano RX) is also updated to last version 4.08.
I’m using a Tananis X9D radio with OpenTx 2.2.4.

When I go in the Telemetry option and do “Discover new sensors”, no new sensors are discovered. I only have the 10 same base sensors I had before doing that. No GPS nor other sensors that are connected to my FC can be discovered.

Is it normal that new sensors are not discovered?

Thank you for any hints that could help me to get it working.

Hi your settings look fine to me, does crossfire work with master?

Sorry, I do not understand the question. What do you mean by “master” ?

Sorry, I mean try the CRSF protocol by flashing the latest dev firmware from here instead of flashing my custom version.
You should be able to discover about 20 sensors

Thank you for your prompt response.
This is the version I had before trying your version and I only got 10 sensors. This is why I tested your version 0.9.

Just to be clear, I did not installed your lua script yet. I’m just trying to discover new sensors from the standard Telemetry page of OpenTx. Should it work that way?

Thank you for your time. This is very appreciated.

ok I see, my script does not need the sensors but being able to discover them is a good sign of a correct setup, did you enable the CRSF protocol on the Micro TX V2 or are you using sbus/ppm, CRSF is a requirement

Edit: you also need to setup the RX ch1 and ch2 pins as CRSF tx/rx and connect them to the FC uart

i have Ch1 and Ch2 on UART 1 on the Matek F405wing and not being used by anything else, i have CRSF enabled in the Crossfire and my CRSF seems to be working because i can change flight modes in MP, for Mavlink i have Ch3 abd Ch4 connected to UART 5 and its turned on in the CF module, i also disabled UART 2 which has the sbus connection.
yet i cannot see any data on the Yaapu script even though it recognizes the connection because audio messages and some msgs in the debug page showing, and in the discovered sensors the RFMD is at 2, the battery voltage etc other details including flight mode etc are not being registered in the script, and the horizon is also not moving.

Hi again,

I confirm that the RX ch1 and ch2 pins as CRSF tx/rx and connected to the FC uart.

I re-flashed the master version and after several hours of trial and errors I finally got 32 sensors such as GPS, Flight Mode, etc.discovered. However to get it discovered I had to power on my FC “before” my Taranis radio. This is very strange because usually (and the recommended way) is to power on the Taranis radio first. Also, even if I power on the FC first, half of the time, the telemetry for the new sensors discovered is not transmitted. I have to power everything off and on again (the FC first). This is a very strange behavior.

Did you see such behavior in the past?

Thank you again for your time.

Hello,

I did some testing today , here is my setup, almost brand new:

• FC MATEK H743 WING runnning Arduplane V4.1.0dev Master

Git rev is b6b39673d45add427765d4fd460e795b10b89042
with TBS nano RX receiver Firmware beta V4.08 HW V1.33
with Matek GPS in Indoor conditions

• Radiomaster TX16S running OpenTX 2.3.10-otx and Yaapu 1.9.1-beta1
    With TBS Micro TX V2 Firmware beta V4.08 HW V2.03.
    - TX power forced to to 100mW

• CRSF link is : SERIAL1 (pin tx7 & rx7) <=> NANO RX : PIN 1 & 2 configured as CRSF TX & RX

• FC PARAMS:
    SERIAL1_PROTOCOL = 23
    RC_OPTOIONS = (32 + 256) = 288

Test result:

• CRSF link work for RC data
  • in Sys->CrossFire config, A new “Arduplane” entry menu is shown, with lots of data when i enter the menu.
  • in Model->Telemetry i have got 23 sensors, all value are updated per second. RFMD has a stable value set to 2 .

When I ARM the FC (indoor, so GPS won’t fix for sure), servo and esc/motor are responding from TX16S input.
But the yappu fullscreen Widget display all its sensors values to 0 ( expect RSSI=99 in the top bar) , with DISARMED + NO GPS blinking alarm.

If i enable CRSF=yes in SYS->yaapu config, the top bar gets only 1 new data : RTP values.

Help needed i guess… does yappu requires a solid GPS fix ?

EDIT 1 : Same issue before updating TBS TX and RX from stable version 4.03

EDIt 2 : Solved by flashing custom binary firmware V0.9 from Alex

You need to flash my custom builds, passthrough over crossfire is not in master yet, please use this builds

Hello Alex, Thanks for your help !

I have just updated my Matek H743 Wing with your custom firmware V0.9 and it just worked out of the box !

When do you expected to merge in master your branch ?

Many thanks for your job on Yaapu and Ardupilot !

I still have problems.
I have almost the same setup as you except that my radio is Taranis X9D+ with OpenTx version 2.2.4.
I’m wondering if it could be the issue :thinking:

To be honest I haven’t tested my latest widgets with older OpenTX versions, :frowning: