Parasect adds support for Ardupilot

logo
Hello everyone!

Parasect is a utility for manipulating parameter sets for autopilots and now I’m excited to announce that it has support for Ardupilot!

Parasect has two-fold capabilities:

1. Compare two parameter sets and highlighting their differences.
  2. Parsing from user-defined content and generating new parameter sets, ready for loading into an autopilot.

Parasect mainly targets:

1. Unmanned Vehicle manufacturers, wishing to manage the parameter configuration of their fleet.
  2. Advanced users, looking for more fine-grained control of their parameter set.

You can find installation instructions and detailed documentation here, but I wanted to cross-post below the Ardupilot tutorial.

It’s pretty well-tested, but I haven’t had feedback yet from Ardupilot users, so feel free to come back and tell me what you think. Cheers!

Usage Example with Ardupilot

This tutorial presents a use case of Parasect supporting the Ardupilot ecosystem. Parasect can be effective in producing a parameter file that configures an Unmanned Vehicle completely.

Initial Tuning

Let’s imagine that we have built a custom multicopter of our own design and now we wish to configure the parameters of Ardupilot. To that goal, let’s first obtain the default parameter set of the autopilot. We connect via our favourite GCS, flash the autopilot with the appropriate airframe and then save the default parameter set, i.e. the parameters and their values as they where on the first boot. It doesn’t matter much if this is done before or after the initial sensor calibration. For the purposes of this tutorial, let’s say we saved the file after calibration.

Let’s create a folder parasect_files and place those parameters in a file inside that, named defaults.params. From now on our working folder will be parasect_files.

The file is going to look something like

ACRO_BAL_PITCH   1.000000
ACRO_BAL_ROLL    1.000000
ACRO_OPTIONS     0
ACRO_RP_EXPO     0.300000
ACRO_RP_RATE     360.000000
WPNAV_TER_MARGIN 10.000000
WP_NAVALT_MIN    0.000000
WP_YAW_BEHAVIOR  2
WVANE_ENABLE     0
ZIGZ_AUTO_ENABLE 0

Let’s start tuning our UAV. We know that our UAV carries a 5000mAh battery (BATT_CAPACITY=5000) and we have calculated that we need about 1000mAh to land at our own pace (BATT_LOW_MAH=1000).

Then we fly a bit and tune the PID loops. We come up with the following changes:

LOIT_SPEED=1500
ATC_ANG_PIT_P=5.0
ATC_ANG_RLL_P=5.0
ATC_RATE_R_MAX=60
ATC_RATE_P_MAX=60

Finally, we choose that we purposely want the default behaviour regarding what happens mission after a reboot (MIS_OPTIONS=0).

Let’s save the parameter file anew, naming it my_copter_post_tuning.params. Parasect can compare the two parameter sets and highlight the differences:

> parasect compare defaults.param my_copter_post_tuning.param
File comparison : defaults.param | my_copter_post_tuning.param
================================================================================
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Component 1-1:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ATC_ANG_PIT_P   : 4.5            | 5
ATC_ANG_RLL_P   : 4.5            | 5
ATC_RATE_R_MAX  : 0              | 60
BARO1_GND_PRESS : 94502.5        | 101079.8
BARO2_GND_PRESS : 94502.5        | 101080.9
BATT_CAPACITY   : 3300           | 5000
BATT_LOW_MAH    : 0              | 1000
LOIT_SPEED      : 1250           | 1500
STAT_RUNTIME    : 0              | 123
================================================================================
9 parameters differ

The compare command of Parasect lists the differences between two parameter files. The tuning changes we made are in there, so we can inspect and make sure that they ended up in our saved file. But so are some that we didn’t actively change. STAT_RUNTIME is a parameter that constantly changes value so we don’t care seeing that in the differences list. Additionally, calibration values such as BARO1_GND_PRESS and BARO2_GND_PRESS are also bound to change automatically and we don’t want to manually set them.

Our First Meal

Parasect can help us reproduce this parameter set systematically. For that, we set up a Menu folder with the following contents:

menu
├── custom_dishes
│   ├── battery.yaml
│   ├── mission.yaml
│   └── tuning.yaml
├── defaults.param
├── meals.yaml
└── staple_dishes
    ├── calibration.yaml
    └── header.yaml

First off, we copied our defaults.param file in the menu. The rest of the menu is made up of .yaml files. Let’s see what each file contains. In custom_dishes we can name our files as we want, grouping parameters as we like. For example:

# battery.yaml

common:
    ingredients:
        - [BATT_CAPACITY, 5000, ~]
        - [BATT_LOW_MAH, 1000, Enough juice to RTL]

battery.yaml contains those parameters and their values related to the battery configuration. Each line is a triplet describing a) the parameter name, b) the parameter value and c) an optional reasoning of why this value was selected (reminder: the ~ symbol means None in yaml syntax).

:spiral_notepad: The common and ingredients keys are significant, but for now they will not be explained. You can read more here.

The contents of mission.yaml and tuning.yaml are similar:

# mission.yaml

common:
    ingredients:
        - [MIS_OPTIONS, 0, The default behaviour is what I want]
# tuning.yaml

common:
    ingredients:
        - [LOIT_SPEED, 1500, I like things a bit fast]
        - [ATC_ANG_PIT_P, 5, It can use a bit more oomph here]
        - [ATC_ANG_RLL_P, 5, It can use a bit more oomph here]
        - [ATC_RATE_R_MAX, 60, "It's a big bird, so let's take it slow"]
        - [ATC_RATE_P_MAX, 60, "It's a big bird, so let's take it slow"]

Let’s now take a look at the staple_dishes folder. Its contents can only be specific .yaml files.

In the header.yaml file we can put custom headers that will always be prepended in our files. In this example, the header adds two comment lines.

# header.yaml

formats:
    apm:
        common:
            - "# Maintainer: George Zogopoulos"
        variants:
            my_copter_1:
                common:
                - "# Parameter set for my_copter_1"

Finally, remember how calibration parameters would appear earlier in the parameter files comparison, making the results harder to read? calibration.yaml gives us a chance to fix that. Any parameter placed here will be ignored by compare. Additionally, a regular expression can be used here to capture more than one parameter name per line.

# calibration.yaml

common:
    ingredients:
        - [BARO._GND_PRESS, ~, ~]
        - [COMPASS_DIA_., ~, ~]
        - [RC\d+_MAX, ~, ~]
        - [RC\d+_MIN, ~, ~]
        - [RC\d+_TRIM, ~, ~]
        - [STAT_RUNTIME, ~, ~]

Finally, let’s define the meals.yaml file, that brings everything together:

# meals.yaml

my_copter_1:
    defaults: defaults.param
    battery: ~
    tuning: ~
    mission: ~
    header: my_copter_1
    remove_calibration: true

In this file we ask Parasect to build a parameter file titled my_copter_1.param, using the common sections of battery.yaml, tuning.yaml and mission.yaml and the my_copter_1 section of header.yaml. Additionally, we ask it to use calibration.yaml to remove the calibration parameters from the parameter set. All of these parameter changes will be done on top of defaults.param. The path we passed to the defaults keyword is relative to the menu folder.

Let’s now use the compare command to build the file.

> parasect build -i menu -f apm -o my_parameters

The command points to the menu folder for build information. The output format is of apm type and the file will be placed in a folder named my_parameters.

Let’s see the contents of my_parameters/my_copter_1.param.

# Maintainer: George Zogopoulos
# Parameter set for my_copter_1
ACRO_BAL_PITCH      1
ACRO_BAL_ROLL       1
ACRO_OPTIONS        0
WPNAV_TER_MARGIN    10
WP_NAVALT_MIN       0
WP_YAW_BEHAVIOR     2
WVANE_ENABLE        0
ZIGZ_AUTO_ENABLE    0

Let’s compare the produced file with the intended result.

> parasect compare my_parameters/my_copter_1.param my_copter_post_tuning.param
File comparison : my_copter_1.param | my_copter_post_tuning.param
Component 1-1:
BARO1_GND_PRESS : X                 < 101079.8
BARO2_GND_PRESS : X                 < 101080.9
BARO3_GND_PRESS : X                 < 0
COMPASS_DIA_X   : X                 < 1
COMPASS_DIA_Y   : X                 < 1
COMPASS_DIA_Z   : X                 < 1
RC10_MAX        : X                 < 1900
RC10_MIN        : X                 < 1100
RC9_MIN         : X                 < 1100
RC9_TRIM        : X                 < 1500
STAT_RUNTIME    : X                 < 123
55 parameters differ

55 Parameters are different! But all of them are calibration parameters, that don’t exist in my_copter_1.param, as we asked. Still, they clutter the comparison. Let’s use the -s option to ignore them.

:spiral_notepad: We still need to point to the menu folder to let Parasect know where calibration.yaml is, but that can be circumvented by permanently setting the Parasect path, as described here.

> parasect compare -i menu -s my_parameters/my_copter_1.param my_copter_post_tuning.param
File comparison : my_copter_1.param | my_copter_post_tuning.param
0 parameters differ

Great! The produced parameter file is exactly as we wanted it! We can write it in our UAV as many times as we want to reset the parameters to their intended values, without fear of overwriting the calibration!
Another UAV Variant

We now decide to build another, slightly different airframe, named my_copter_2. This one will be identical to the previous one, but it will carry a smaller battery. We adapt battery.yaml and header.yaml accordingly.

Since my_copter_2 has a different BATT_CAPACITY than my_copter_1 but the same BATT_LOW_MAH, we split the battery definition into a common part and individual variants.

# battery.yaml

common:
    ingredients:
        - [BATT_LOW_MAH, 1000, Enough juice to RTL]

variants:
    my_copter_1:
        common:
            ingredients:
                - [BATT_CAPACITY, 5000, ~]
    my_copter_2:
        common:
            ingredients:
                - [BATT_CAPACITY, 3000, ~]

While we are at it, we also want to define some parameters as operator parameters. They will be treated the same as calibration parameters, by being removed from the parameter file and we can ignore them in comparisons. This will allow our friend to change them at any time as he pleases to suit his operation better.

To that goat, we add an operator.yaml file.

# operator.yaml

common:
    ingredients:
        - [RTL_ALT, ~, ~]
        - [RTL_CONE_SLOPE, ~, ~]
        - [RTL_LOIT_TIME, ~, ~]
        - [FLTMODE., ~, ~]

Finally, we edit the meals.yaml file to strip the operator parameters too.

# meals.yaml

my_copter_1:
    battery: my_copter_1
    header: my_copter_1
    remove_operator: true

my_copter_2:
    battery: my_copter_2
    header: my_copter_2

Let’s build the files anew and compare them.

> parasect build -i menu -f apm -o my_parameters
> parasect compare my_parameters/my_copter_1.param my_parameters/my_copter_2.param
File comparison : my_copter_1.param | my_copter_2.param
Component 1-1:
BATT_CAPACITY : 5000              | 3000
1 parameters differ

Excellent! That’s just what we wanted!

Let’s give this new airframe to a friend! He needs a platform to brush up his flying skills.

Read-Only Parameters

Oh no! Our friend came back saying that his drone crashed! He says that suddenly, as the battery got low it fell out of the sky. First things first, let’s compare the ideal parameter file from the actual one, as our friend gave it to us (called friend_dump.param).

> parasect compare -i menu -s my_parameters/my_copter_2.param friend_dump.param
File comparison : my_copter_2.param | friend_dump.param
Component 1-1:
BATT_FS_CRT_ACT : 0                 | 5
1 parameters differ

Oh dear… he had set the critical battery failsafe action to Terminate, inadvertently causing the crash. We will repair his UAV, but let’s make sure that doesn’t happen again, by making the BATT_FS_CRT_ACT parameter read-only and use the appropriate workflow involving the apj-tool to bake in its default read-only value.

We add it in the mission.yaml file and mark it accordingly.

# mission.yaml

common:
    ingredients:
        - [MIS_OPTIONS, 0, The default behaviour is what I want]
        - [BATT_FS_CRT_ACT, 4, Do the best thing possible apart from crashing @READONLY]

Parasect can scan the reasoning section for the keyword @READONLY and add it in the parameter file. But .param files containing the @READONLY flag cause errors when they are loaded in normal GCSs, like MAVProxy. Thus, the .param file to be used by the apj_tool.py will be exported as a different format: apj.

We can build only that meal with the desired format

> parasect build -i menu -f apj -c my_copter_2 -o my_parameters

and then inspect the resulting file.

# my_copter_2.param

BATT_CRT_VOLT       0
BATT_CURR_PIN       12
BATT_FS_CRT_ACT     4       @READONLY
BATT_FS_LOW_ACT     0
BATT_FS_VOLTSRC     0

That’s just what we need.

Now, to bake the read-only status in the firmware, we need to use the apj_tool. Unfortunately, apj_tool can fit only 8 kilobytes of parameters in the .apj file, whilst our file is a lot larger.

> du -h my_parameters/my_copter_2.param
24K my_parameters/my_copter_2.param

We have to make a concession and strip our parameter file from the default parameters. The downside is that we can no longer use the same parameter file with our GCS to reset all the parameters to the intended value. But we can easily circumvent this issue by simply creating a parameter file exclusively for this use, and explicitly setting defaults to None.

# meals.yaml

my_copter_2:

my_copter_2_apj:
    defaults: ~
    add_new: true

Note how we have added the add_new: true entry in the new meal. This is necessary, because Parasect by default does not allow creating new parameters in a set, to prevent typographical errors. However, in this case we indeed want to start on an empty slate, without a default parameter set, so we have to explicitly allow new parameter names.

The resulting parameter set is, as expected:

# my_copter_2_apj.param

# Maintainer: George Zogopoulos
# Parameter set for my_copter_2
ATC_ANGLE_BOOST     1
ATC_ANG_PIT_P       5
ATC_ANG_RLL_P       5
ATC_RATE_P_MAX      60
ATC_RATE_R_MAX      60
BATT_CAPACITY       3000
BATT_FS_CRT_ACT     4       @READONLY
BATT_LOW_MAH        1000
LOIT_SPEED  1500
MIS_OPTIONS 0

We can now bake in the parameters in our .apj file with the apj_tool. We assume that arducopter.apj and apj_tool.py have been copied into parasect_files.

> python3 apj_tool.py --set-file my_parameters/my_copter_2_apj.param arducopter.apj
Loaded apj file of length 1809920
Found param defaults max_length=8192 length=282
Setting defaults from my_parameters/my_copter_2_apj.param
Saved apj of length 1809920

Success!

Conclusion

This tutorial taught you how to use Parasect to compare and create your own parameter sets. Now go forth and don’t ever let mixed parameters ruin your day ever again!

11 Likes