Parameter not saving in Copter 4.4.4 over RFD900x modem

Hi All,

I recently upgraded from 4.07 where i had zero issues to 4.4.4, and 4.4.4 with the same issues in both builds.

It starts up ok, and when i have connected via a USB to the flight controller i have no isse uploading any paramter changes etc.

When under RF900X link (Telem2) (Mission Planner through Laptop) or under my secondary link to my SIYI MK15 (Telem1) (QGround Control Through MK15 Controller screen) i am able to see flight data, i can change modes like stabilise and RTL however i am unable to upload a new parameter change. It just says that specific parameter upload FAILED and you click Ok then it says Not all parameters successfully Saved. See screenshots
Screenshot 2024-01-16 121529

However after reading back the parameters again, the parameter can be seen to be changed! Ill also note that reading parameters is a LOT faster than 4.07 as it doesnt seem to go through every parameter, instead uploads a single parameter MAVFTP 1-1 (Screen Shot ) which is a change from 4.07. Unsure if its relevant.
Screenshot 2024-01-16 121624

Also my messages screen has nothing in it, no start up messages etc. I am also stuck on “Not Ready To Arm” on the HUD and when i click it i just get a continuous “Pre Arm Checks - Waiting for error messages”. See Screenshot 4

None of these issues were present on 4.07, and its not letting me roll back to 4.07.

Any help would be appreciated, parameter file attached also
parameters 4.4.4 problems.param (17.5 KB)

Details
Cube Orange - 4.4.4
RFD900X running 115 baud and 125 air speed - Mapped to Telem 2
Siyi MK15 5.8GHZ using 57 baud - Mapped to Telem 1

Hi @Jeffuasa,

It should always be possible to roll back to a previous version. Can you tell me what error you’re seeing?

Re problems saving parameters, could you make sure to run the latest mission planner? In the image provided I can’t see the top line of MP so I can’t see what version you’ve got but personally I am using 1.3.81.

I suspect the problem is with the telemetry connection. Either the bandwidth is not quite enough or there are two items using the same “system id”. Could you retry the parameter download using a USB to your PC? If that works then we know the issue is the telemetry connection.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am using the latest mission planner as it doesn’t tell me to update every time I login.

Yes it was odd I couldn’t roll back, it would keep coming up with an error I will try and find some screenshots tomorrow.

Definitely have no problem saving or changing parameters with the USB connection. But via the 5.8 ghz telemetry or the 915mhz telemetry it won’t change. But still changes in the back ground etc

Strange no issue with 4.07 but this comes to a head with a firmware change.

I’m not saying this is a fix, but something I would check into:
Why NoDMA options on serial2 ?
I can understand maybe the no forwarding option, but I would try without that too.
Make sure the BRD_SERx_RTSCTS options match what is actually set in your radios.

My preference would be to have the RFD900 on Serial1/Telem1 since that port is specifically set up to supply 1.5amps separate to all the other connectors.
All other connectors are collectively limited to 1 or 1.5amps total.

Hi Shawn,

I have the RFD set up on telem 2 as I am powering it by its seperate 5v power supply as has been suggested to not overwhelm the pixhawk.

Happy to switch them around but as I’m powering seperate anyway I’m unsure if this is required?

I turned on those settings in an attempt to have both data links working correctly. On 4.07 these settings were required for the 5.8ghz to read at the same time as the 915mhz. Don’t ask me why as Leonard hall stumbled upon that one time when we were trying to figure out why missions didn’t upload during tuning.

I could try turning these off? My understanding is in RFD tools that the RTS CTS is switched off. Any idea on switching this on?

Stick with your existing order since you’ve powered the RFD separately - that’s a good idea.

I use BRD_SERx_RTSCTS,1 and set RTS/CTS in RFD tools too, for both RFD radios.
Send a screenshot of your RFD settings.

Try with those other serial options set disabled and see if any possible improvements have made a difference. Particularly the NoDMA thing.

Hi Shawn,

I Turned both of those things off and i set the mavlink forwarding back on and both working.

I am still having an issue with Qground control not loading all parameters on the 5.8GHZ system, but i can now set parameters and load missions etc which is what i was after.

Now its stuck on Pre-Arm GPS1 NOT Healthy - note i have my CUAV into port for GPS2 and GPS1 serial turned off GPS to none. So is that referring to my only GPS thats plugged into GPS2, calling that GPS1 and stating its not healthy? Or does it still think there is a GPS for port 1 that should be there?

On the screen it only has one GPS on the HUD, so asssume its now classifying GPS port 2 as the GPS1 its calling unhealthy?

Also another Pre-Arm Battery 1 unhealthy also. Have tried manually setting the voltage as per ardupilot guide but still, showing accurate voltage but calling it unhealthy.

Thanks for your help so far, definitely getting somewhere!!

Yes, when no GPS is connected to GPS1 then the GPS connected to GPS2 is called GPS1 because it is the first found GPS.

Do you have a current monitor? Is it correctly configured?

thanks amil,

So does that mean my GPS is unhealthy for some reason?

I have 30 Sats showing and 3D FIX. I usually fly with RTK but dont have my ground station connected right now. But i figured that shouldnt affect the healthyness?

Im not using a current meter at this stage, just going off voltage so have set it up to analog voltage only.

Yes, your GPS is unhealthy.

No, RTK injection (RTCM) does not affect the healthiness.

Are you sure it is set as analog voltage only?

Any idea how i can fix an unhealthy GPS?

Worked great under 4.07 - its a cuav F9 RTK and never had any issues, been rock solid.

Yes in full paramter list and also the setup GUI
Screenshot 2024-01-17 213531

I see sometimes it can be due to a compass error with the GPS too??

I used to have two RTK GPS on here and i have removed one for another platform.

Is this snapshot still mean that it thinks there are still two? Surely there wouldnt be two external compass with the same ID in one CUAV?

Yes, do the “Remove Missing” button and reboot

In full parameter list set BATT_CAPACITY,0 and any other BATT_*_MAH to 0

It won’t let me check either of them as missing? I can see the box but when I click there it doesn’t add a check.

Still getting GPS 1 not healthy,

managed to delete one of those other duplicate compass, and do another compass cal. However still GPS1 unhealthy.

Odd as have 31 sats and a HDOP of 0.5 with a good compass.

Been playing with the battery unhealthy however no matter what i do i cant get it to work, i changed it to Cube orange analog, but all that does is change the message to Battery 1 voltage failsafe critical low, yet the voltage is well above my failsafes.

Also changed the analog pin for current to -1 (None), but that didnt help either.

Any idea why these would change with just a firmware update?

Set LOG_DISARMED,1 and generate a new .bin log and send us a link to that.
Remember to set LOG_DISARMED,0 afterwards.

Please see this note: The Cube Module Overview - CubePilot

Serial 1 (TELEM 1 ) has a private 1.5A current limit, intended for powering a low power. This output is separately EMI filtered and draws directly from the USB / Brick inputs. Peak power draw on this port should not exceed 1.5A, never power your telemetry from this port under any circumstance.

There are transient current spikes during transmit that can exceed 1.5A when the radio is set to 1W output power. There have been a few rare instances where the autopilot has browned out during a transmit cycle.

I’m just tinkering with a new set of RFD900x radios and happened to be on their website as I read this. The 900x has a draw of “~800ma at max power”. And in full disclosure, when I’ve installed RFD radios in the past I’ve powered them from independent sources.

But here’s the questions: Why go through all the bother to give the Telem1 port it’s own 1.5A filtered power supply and then say never power a telemetry radio? And if I turn down the radio to 27db(~500mw) is there still a brown out risk? Because I gotta say that nice 1-piece cable included by RFD from the telem1 port to the radio would sure make my day a lot simpler.

(I’m not looking to kick up a storm, just some honest questions)

1 Like

I too have the exact same question and have never had a real answer other than don’t. the cube wiki just says never but doesn’t give a explanation. so should you not power any other somewhat power hungry devices from there even if they are within the 1.5a range?