Orange Cube+ connecting to #GPK2

Hello,

I’ve been trying for a few days trying to connect a Seagull #GPK2 GPS receiver (U-blox F9P) to my new Orange Cube+ via SERIAL4 (GPS 2). Unfortunately, Mission Planner cannot connect to this GPS receiver.

I’m out of ideas on what could be causing this, I’ve tried a few things:

1. different SERIAL4_BAUD baudrate values,
  2. F9P receiver software update by u-center,
  3. connection to another flight controller (Pixhawk 4),
  4. when I set GPS_AUTO_CONFIG=0, the GPS receiver reads the position and satellites, but it is not detected by Mission Palnner,
  5. GPS_TYPE2=1 or 2,
  6. wire connection variations.

I am using the latest ArduCopter V4.3.5.

How do you want to connect Mission Planner to GPS? Usually you just connect Mission Planner to Cube Orange.

You misunderstood me. I do not connect a GPS receiver to Mission Planner. I connected as I wrote #GPK2 to Orange +. Mission Planner shows that FC is unable to configure GPS2.

I can be wrong but I think GPS is connected by I2C bus or CAN and my F9Ps just works after connection. I didn’t have to set anything in parameters of arducopter.

I guess it might be an ArduCopter version issue. What version are you using?

I have drones with f9p working with 4.3.5 and 4.1.5 arducopter…

Did you checked the GPS by connecting it by USB to Windows and Ublox center ?

Yes, I checked the M9P at u-center and it works fine. I connected the GPS to Pixhawk 4 again after uploading Copter 4.3.5 and it works, I have 3D fix. The question is why it doesn’t work with Cube+.

I would just check the wiring in connectors… Is it the same in Pixhawk 4 and Cube + ? Did you compare parameters of Pixhawk 4 and Cube ? They are the same ?

The wiring should be consistent between the two boards.

Unless you have another GPS connected on SERIAL3 (GPS1), set the following:
SERIAL3_PROTOCOL=-1
SERIAL4_PROTOCOL=5
GPS_TYPE=1
GPS_TYPE2=0
GPS_AUTO_CONFIG=1

The baud rate is immaterial. It is auto-detected and set.

1 Like

Yes, connections, parameters, software version, everything is the same. When connected to Cube+, it keeps popping up: EKF3 waiting for GPS config data. So Cube+ for some reason is not able to configure the GPS receiver.

There is still no connection to GPS (NO GPS), I set everything as you wrote.
GPS_TYPE_2=0 affects on SERIAL4, so if the GPS is connected to the GPS2 port, the GPS_TYPE_2 parameter set to 0 blocks its configuration.

Incorrect. You are conflating GPS_TYPE2 with the port labeled GPS2.

GPS_TYPE is the first configured GPS. If you only have one GPS, then GPS_TYPE is the parameter that dictates its behavior, regardless of how it’s connected or what the port label says.

I suspect that your autopilot is attempting to configure two GPS modules and failing to do so.

Check all of the SERIALx_PROTOCOL parameters and ensure SERIAL4_PROTOCOL is the only one set to GPS (5).

And stop forcing your autopilot to look for a second GPS by enabling GPS_TYPE2.

After changing any of these parameters, reboot to ensure they take effect properly.

1 Like

I keep getting the message: EKF3 waiting for GPS config data even if I set GPS_TYPE=2 (uBlox).

Save your parameters and share them here.

Cube+.param (16.8 KB)

Here you go.

1 Like

Set SERIAL1_PROTOCOL=-1. It’s set to GPS for some reason.
Set GPS_TYPE2=0. It’s set to CAN for some reason.

Recommend GPS_TYPE=1 for auto-configuration as well.

2 Likes

For some reason I must have missed SERIAL1, after setting SERIAL1_PROTOCOL=2 GPS caught a 3D fix. GPS_TYPE2=9 is because I connected a second Here3+ GPS receiver. Now both have 3D fix. Thank you!
obraz

But still is: EKF3 waiting for GPS config data.

I’ve never mixed CAN and serial GPS modules on the same vehicle. You might try switching GPS_TYPE=9 and GPS_TYPE2=1 and see if that fixes the EKF3 initialization. If that makes things worse, switch back, put the vehicle outside, and just let it sit for a while. Perhaps it needs almanac data (that’s a bit of a shot in the dark…).

Lastly, and probably least advisable, you could try GPS_AUTO_CONFIG=0 as well.

2 Likes