Opensource, color, PictureInPicture capable OSD for ArduPilot

Max power consumption is around 1.8Watts

The more I look at this to better it seems to have wing cameras viewable in PIPs.

As regards inspiration for OSD features have you looked at the feature set of probably the best MinimOSD fork

Will we be able to configure the display with the same features as exist in the latest firmware for MinimOSD? Or is the graphical nature of the display such that it is harder to do this?

Interesting project. What will be the ~price for the board ?
I have not enough knowledgeā€™s in the video subsystems, so have simple questions:
a) will simple analog video quality improved ?
b) will it be possible to connect more sensors/peripheral to osd ? such as some boards to controll battery each cell voltage, etc

-Approx 150 usd
-Video quality will not degraded, some sharpening and post processing options are available.
-No, strictly MavLink.

Hey, any news on this?

yepp,sourcing parts for the first batchā€¦ code is completed cleaning up to make it publishableā€¦

1 Like

Is there a chance to get a prototype for evaluation in the meantime?

I am a little confused here ! Did you use another chip like max7456 for text overlay ? Or you have used built in OSD features of TW2837 ?
Actually I have developed a Quad mux using TW2837 and Atmega32u4 successfully, However i am stuck at osd .Any Help ?

Hi All !

Itā€™s been a while. I was trying to sourcing components for the first prototype run, but it seems that things not as easy as it seemed first. I had a couple of shipments from China, which contained wrong or counterfeit chips, fake voltage regulators and so onā€¦ The issue is that sourcing chips from large vendors like mouser or farnel makes the whole thing unreasonably pricey, unless you make at least a 150-200pcs in one run. This is definitely outside of my comfort zone for investing money.

This does not mean that Iā€™ll abandon the project (since I use it on multiple machines in work) but will not build and sell the hardware. However as I promised I release the source code and hardware design and will update them with all the developments that I make. Perhaps some vendor will make the hw.

The hw design and the code located here : https://github.com/EosBandi/OSDeluxe

HW will be updated to use paralell connection to the 2837 instead of I2C, code already updated to support this and working on a ratnest proto board :smiley:
If you have questions just let me know.

Asim, see the post above for the source code. It uses the 2837 OSD for displaying text and graphics. However I think the Atmegs32u4 will bee too slow to achieve any usable osd speed.

Thanks for help ! My requirements for OSD are only limited to some labels and time display. Refresh rate of 2 HZ would suffice.

Have you thought about maybe using kickstarter to see if there is enough demand to do a large production run? That way you wouldnā€™t have to invest your own money

Well, in my country crowdfunding is a dead end due the stupid taxation laws, let alone the VAT is 27%ā€¦plus there are other fees and taxes that makes the whole process non profitable, unless you sell hundreds or thousands.

do you have a bill of materials for all the parts? Iā€™m thinking of trying my hand at making some for personal use by hand

On github, you can find schematics and pcb plan in eagle format (hardware directory).

Hmm, I canā€™t open these in Eagle 9.1.3

Error:

line 8, column 16: This is not an EAGLE file.

Did Eagle changed file format ? Iā€™m using 8.5.1 free

Googling comes up empty. Tried importing it into a new project and get the same errorā€¦kinda stumped.

Iā€™ll install Eagle 9 tonight and try to convertā€¦
Did you checked the file in notepad ? What is in line 8 ?

It is working with Eagle 9 flawlesslyā€¦

I just downloaded the zip from github and extracted to a local dir.