Odd throttle surge in Alt_hold

I was flying my APM2.5 Tricopter around this afternoon very happily in Alt_hold and suddenly the throttle went to full and the Tri climbed hard, so I flicked back to Stabilize and immediately brought it down but the log altitude shows it climbed to a much higher altitude than what I was, and it stays high when the CH3 raw is being lowered and the copter was descending. (My Baro is covered by a piece of foam and a cover.)

What was this, a vertical GPS Glitch?

It’s not the first time it’s happened and is quite alarming!

[quote=“Graham Dyer”]I was flying my APM2.5 Tricopter around this afternoon very happily in Alt_hold and suddenly the throttle went to full and the Tri climbed hard, so I flicked back to Stabilize and immediately brought it down but the log altitude shows it climbed to a much higher altitude than what I was, and it stays high when the CH3 raw is being lowered and the copter was descending. (My Baro is covered by a piece of foam and a cover.)

What was this, a vertical GPS Glitch?

It’s not the first time it’s happened and is quite alarming![/quote]

This is caused by vibrations.

OK, but only appearing halfway through the flight and not in the flight just before or the flight just after? Also all my props are carbon and have been balanced magnetically.

enable IMU logging if you do not log that already - and upload a flights .log from APM.
balanced props are great, but you have still motors, and can even have possible harmonics in the frame that can amplify a insignificant motor vibration.

This is a [color=#FF0000]highly[/color] dangerous effect of vibrations that really needs to have a safety catch in the firmware.

I’ve discovered that my Tricopter does have some inherent vibrations at higher rpm’s and am working to fix them but I experienced the exact same surge on a high powered Carbon Core quadcopter today. The quad went from 5m altitude to 30m in a few seconds before the pilot reacted to the problem by switching out of Alt_Hold.

To have this carbon scythe zoom upwards at full speed a short distance away sure gets the adrenalin flowing!

I would’ve thought that with all the safety aspects having been added to the code (like the GPS glitch protection) this problem would’ve had priority as it is a clearly known effect of errant vibrations?

Or is something being done about it already?

[quote=“Graham Dyer”]This is a [color=#FF0000]highly[/color] dangerous effect of vibrations that really needs to have a safety catch in the firmware.

I’ve discovered that my Tricopter does have some inherent vibrations at higher rpm’s and am working to fix them but I experienced the exact same surge on a high powered Carbon Core quadcopter today. The quad went from 5m altitude to 30m in a few seconds before the pilot reacted to the problem by switching out of Alt_Hold.

To have this carbon scythe zoom upwards at full speed a short distance away sure gets the adrenalin flowing!

I would’ve thought that with all the safety aspects having been added to the code (like the GPS glitch protection) this problem would’ve had priority as it is a clearly known effect of errant vibrations?

Or is something being done about it already?[/quote]

The EKF is being done.

What is EKF?

Extended Kalman Filter. It fuses all of the measurements we get in a statistically optimal fashion.