Servers by jDrones

Odd RTL during auto missions [ Solved - Sort Of ]

(darrell) #1

I finally have my Skywalker X8 quadplane flying well. I’ve run in to an odd issue with RTL behavior. When I do a simple circuit and trip RTL when it’s far away and heading towards home it works just as expected. It’s amazing to watch.

However, I set up a couple of mapping survey grids with Mission Planner and at the end of these there is a RTL command. When that command executes at height the vertical motors come on, the plane sinks and then rolls over. It was easy to recover by switching to FBWA but I did two different grid surveys and it happened both times. There’s a log here if anyone can help out.

(tridge) #2

Looks fine to me, VTOL motors don’t come on till it is 100m from home

(darrell) #3

Hmm, could be the wrong log as the plane actually rolled completely over when I put it in RTL. We did a lot of flights on that day. I’ll go out and recreate the issue and be sure to post the correct log later this week.

(darrell) #4

Took it out for more test flights and couldn’t fault it. Darn thing is flying great!

(Tony Atma) #5

Hi Darrell, I have ever seen your X8 Vtol video on youtube some time ago. Good to hear your X8 performs great. May I know your AUW in kg? About RTL in mission, I also did this test but still not sure at what altitude the plane change to Copter (QRTL) mode for landing. What is your RTL altitude? For long range, I plan to have very high RTL for safety reason, but the problem is, it will change to QRTL at very high altitude which is not good.

(darrell) #6

The AUW is 6.5kg with payload. I use a RTL altitude of 30 meters but the plane rarely descends that far before it gets back so I’m thinking of adding a rally point with a lower height. However, I had a friend suggest I try putting in a waypoint and changing to ‘loiter to height’ which will fly the plane in a circle while it descends. I believe there are some new features coming regarding VTOL landing options planned for this year.

Recently I’ve been landing manually with a fairly standard fixed wing approach and then switching to QStabilize when it’s about 50 meters down from where I want to land. Then as it floats by and slows down I switch to QLoiter to lock it in place. Then I just lower it down. This way I can get it to about 10 meters off the ground as it comes in which saves a lot of vertical battery power.

(Henry Wurzburg aka ATXHELI) #7

Look at bit 4 of the Q_OPTIONS…and new VTOL landing wiki page