Notch filter review+ tune analysis

hello

i have been tuning a vtol plane called mini striver.

can some one have a look at my notch filter and ADVISE IF i have set it up properly.

thanks you

log-2024-03-31 10-17-14.bin - Google Drive

Here’s my shot, but I’d love to see what some of the smarter folks come up with:

INS_GYRO_FILTER,20
INS_HNTCH_FREQ,19
INS_HNTCH_BW,10
INS_HNTCH_ATT,30
INS_HNTCH_REF,0.33
INS_HNTCH_FM_RAT,1
INS_HNTCH_HMNCS,11
INS_HNTCH_OPTS,15
INS_HNTCH_ENABLE,1
INS_HNTCH_MODE,1
INS_HNTC2_ENABLE,0

Before:

After:

Honestly to me, even the starting levels look so low that I don’t know if a lot of filtering is really needed. That’s why I only choose to use one filter with a couple of additonal harmonics, rather than 2 filters. Again though, I’d like to hear other’s suggestions.

ok let me try this.

but i see post filter and estimated post filter isnt close by and somehwere i had read they should be following each other.

i have tried this
INS_GYRO_FILTER,20
INS_HNTCH_FREQ,38
INS_HNTCH_BW,20
INS_HNTCH_ATT,40
INS_HNTCH_REF,0.30
INS_HNTCH_FM_RAT,1
INS_HNTCH_HMNCS,11
INS_HNTCH_OPTS,7
INS_HNTC2_FREQ,28
INS_HNTC2_BW,14
INS_HNTC2_ATT,40
INS_HNTC2_REF,0.30000001192092896
INS_HNTC2_FM_RAT,1
INS_HNTC2_HMNCS,3
INS_HNTC2_OPTS,7
INS_HNTCH_ENABLE,1
INS_HNTCH_MODE,1
INS_HNTC2_ENABLE,0
INS_HNTC2_MODE,1

also just to check we have to enable it on all imus ??

How big of VTOL is this? What size are the props?

I would run it on all IMUs.

isnt these settings coming out better ??

prop size is 17 inch

Those look good, but it depends on the RPM of those motors. IMU#1 has it’s first peak at 38hz, but #2 & #3 both have their first peak at 19hz. Since those values could be harmonics of each other it makes me wonder what the true vibration is.

Either way, the overall levels are really low.

so i will put this settings and now i can do a q_autotune followed by a plane mode autotune

hosuld i go ahead with your setting and go to next step of qautotune and fixed wing mode autotune

Filters look good, but I can’t comment on the rest of the process.

Have a look for the VTOL quick tune script. Might be a better choice (at least initially) for a larger VTOL rather than q-autotune.

we had already done a 1autotune on this quadplane and flew well but we had not done any notch filter settings. hence want to do the autotune again

so we did a flight post qautotune and autotune.

we took off in qhover and switched to fwbA and immediately yawed right by90* and we had to recover it immediately

any advise why this yaw happened when we didnt command for it.

attaching log - 00000014.BIN - Google Drive

@amilcarlucas @Allister any advise

is it because of Q_WVANE_GAIN is set to 0.5

I’m not too up on VTOL transitions. Make sure that the FBWA corrections are all working in the right direction.

The plane did complete one transition, did you feel it yawed then as well?

yes fbwa corrrections are working well. this quad plane did fl well previously well in auto mission out of factory settings and q_wvane_gain=0. but had no notch filter etc hence had to set notchfilter and redo the autotune etc.

the plane did complete the second transition well and didnt yaw only different was it was nose into the wind unlike previous tranistion of wind from the left.