Nora serial port numbering

The serial port labeling on my Nora doesn’t match the wiki. I don’t have a port labeled GPS2 and I have a UART3 on the side. Is there a config file or something like that where that info is defined?

My MinimOSD works OK when attached to TELEM1 (which is Serial1) but I want to connect it to UART4 and no settings for Serial3 or greater make that work.

Serial port labeling from the Wiki:

• SERIAL0 = console = USB
  • SERIAL1 = Telemetry1 = USART1
  • SERIAL2 = Telemetry2 = USART6
  • SERIAL3 = GPS1 = USART1
  • SERIAL4 = GPS2 = UART4
  • SERIAL5 = USER = UART8
  • SERIAL6 = USER = UART7 (DEBUG TX/RX)

Hello,

I do not use MinimOSD… but Nora serial ports 1 to 4 are as the wiki, even if not explicit (label).

Serial 1 is used by the wifi link. (Telemetry 1)

On my Nora I use Serial 2 for RangeFinder

Serial 3 is the GPS multi uses plug (with CUAV M8N serial GPS)

Serial 4 (UART4) could be used for second serial GPS with i2c compass or else (Range finder)

Sorry, but I have no clue about UART3 Serial port number?

More information with X7/Nora Pinout reference:

but serial port number is still missing.

Thanks for the information. It looks like it isn’t a problem with the serial config (the port labeled UART4 is Serial4) but rather that I can’t have more than one Mavlink stream active.

Both the telemetry radio (900x) and MinimOSD use Mavlink. I’ve tried enabling and disabling ports and swapping the devices. Both the radio and OSD work on Serial1, but whatever is plugged into Serial4 will not work unless I disable Serial1.

I thought it might be SRx parameters. Though I thought those get configured depending on the device changing them didn’t seem to help.

Hello,

what’s the conclusion about the serial port numbering in Cuav Nora? Now I run ArduCopter 4.2beta2, and I can’t get the “side” serial port working. My investigations show that the serial ports on the side with lots of sockets are numbered as follows:

Serial1, Serial2, Serial4, Serial6 - the four in a row
Serial3 - the GPS serial port on the bottom

And those above work as expected. However, in the Mission Planner, I see also Serial5 and Serial7 (why two when there are not so many physical ports in this AP) but neither 5 nor 7 seems to have anything to do with the “side” one, which remains non-operational. Help please! I need to attach my serial port LightWare lidar somewhere… :slight_smile:

From my experience with Nora:

Telem1: Serial 1 (UART2) – CUAV Wifi Telemetry
Telem2: Serial 2 (UART6)
UART4: Serial 4
DSU: UART7 (Debug) may be labelled Serial 6 on your unit?
GPS: Serial 3 (UART1) -Main GPS/Safety Switch/Buzzer/Led
UART3
UART8: SBus In, PPM In

I use Serial 2 for Down Range Finder (TF02 Pro)
and Serial 4 for Forward Range Finder (TF Mini)

I think DSU/UART7 is Serial6, it’s labeled DSU7

However, which serial is UART3? (The one on the right side?) And what are Serial7 and Serial5?

One would think this would clear it up but not really:
CUAV_X7_PINOUT-2020-4-7.zip (14.6 KB)

CUAV X7 is not quite the same as CUAV Nora, is it? Does it have the same circuitry?

This list is not true for CUAV Nora. I have SERIAL3_PROTOCOL set to 5, and my only serial GPS is connected to the green socket described as GPS (another GPS is CAN). I change SERIAL3_PROTOCOL to -1 and no more GPS1. Change it back to SERIAL3_PROTOCOL and GPS1 is detected again. Also where are seven physical serials then?

It says X7/Nora

I don’t have one, I was just curious. Actually I just remebered I helped out a friend that had one of these and found this I put together. But I don’t think it adds any info:

Thank you for clarifying this, but something is fishy here:

-there is no “UART3” (the one on the side) in the “Default UART Order”
-there is no UART8 on the pinout drawing - do UART8 and UART3 refer to the same port?
-there are seven Serials in the MissionPlanner parameter list, while there seem to be only six physical ports

And the worst thing is that the “side” port seems not to work, whatever option one would try to set.

Yes I agree. I was looking over the parameter file of my friends Nora to get a clue but nothing stood out. And sadly he’s no longer with us so I can’t ask. Perhaps someone from CUAV will chime in @CUAV-Ricky @cuav_le

@dkemxr We reserve the hardware UART3 interface, but Ardupilot doesn’t use it; can you help me see how to enable it?

We submitted a PR that UART3 will be supported in the new firmware.

2 Likes

Has the support been added? I can’t see it in the release notes.

yes, we’re done, you can see it in the new firmware. Here is the pr: AP_HAL_ChibiOS: CUAV-Nora: add usart3 support by mxiaogit · Pull Request #20395 · ArduPilot/ardupilot · GitHub

Great, thanks. It did not make it to the release notes.