No throttle sent to ESC on channel 8

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxf002aubzmnm0t/2020-06-28%2009-27-58.tlog?dl=0

and the flight vid.

hope that’s the file you need, please let me know if you can access.
At 0:33, 0:39, 1:00, 1:11 i level the sticks and you see the drift.

Regards

Satish

Hi Satish, you sent the tlog which is what mission planner records. I would really like the bin file which you download from the flight controller. You plug a USB cable from your computer to the flight controller. Then connect to the flight controller in mission planner. From the flight data tab, there is a Dataflash tab in the lower left panel. You use the upper left button which is download logs and then choose the last log in the list. You will find the logs in the documents folder under mission planner/logs/helicopter/1/

Hi Bill,
here’s the link,

Regards,
Satish

Here is the problem. Your roll attitude is not following your desired roll attitude. This is caused by ATC_RAT_RLL_ILMI being zero. Set both ATC_RAT_PIT_ILMI and ATC_RAT_RLL_ILMI to 0.08. That will allow the controller to hold attitude for you.

Ok Looking at your parameters further, have you even attempted to tune this heli. The PID parameters are all default values. So in addition to setting the ILMI parameters, you need to tune this heli properly.

Thanks bill for your time - I will set them and try.
No, i have not done any kind of PID tuning as yet. I guess that will be the next challenge for me. I look forward to it.

Many thanks for your patience so far.

Cheers,
-Satish

Hello Bill,

bad weather all weekend, just had a window in between, i made changes you mentioned and tested, the drifting had reduced quite a bit, still had some drift, had to change the ATC_HOVR_ROLL_TRM from 300 to 400 (i had reset it back to default), and tested again, and it felt much better, i guess i can go 450 on this setting on my next test flight, the ATC_HOVR_ROLL_TRM seems to be having an effect only now after your suggested setting with ATC_RAT_PIT_ILMI and ATC_RAT_RLL_ILMI to 0.08. I have attached the bin file for your reference and suggestions.

Please suggest where I start the tuning process.

1. as of now there is no roll/pitch oscillations, stick response feels ok.
  2. tail is what i feel is a bit loose in holding heading. Doesn’t feel solid.

Thanks for your guidance so far.

• Satish

Hello Bill,
(please let me know if i shuld start new thread for this)

I have a similar setup i mentioned but with 765-wing, AC 4, and 450 flybar heli.
I have followed the tuning first steps as per document ATC_RAT_PIT_VFF and ATC_RAT_RLL_VFF at 0.15. I was getting roll-oscillations just at lift off, so i reduced the ATC_ANG_RLL_P from default 4.5 to 3, and i now see roll-oscillations just after lift-off.

I’m not sure if ATC_RAT_PIT_ILMI and ATC_RAT_RLL_ILMI = 0 is coming into play here as well, or it’s simply vibrations.

I have the bin log attached, kindly suggest/guide me.

Thanks in adavnce.
Regards,
-Satish48 1-1-1980 5-30-00 AM.bin.log.param (17.3 KB)

Hi Satish,
The first heli is looking good as far as the actual attitude following the desired. It is tough to tell with the log bitmask setting but it appears that you do have some vibrations that you may want to address first. I would suggest setting the LOG_BITMASK to 131071 and conduct a flight. You will probably see oscillations in the RATE.R and RATE.P signals at the same freq as your rotor speed. I would first suggest that you ensure your blades are properly tracked and balanced. Then you can use the notch filter to get rid of more of the noise.

Then you can start tuning. Please read the TradHeli tuning guide on the wiki. If you need a link let me know. I would prefer that you read the wiki and try it yourself and then you can come to me with questions. I want you to learn how to do this yourself.

As for your other heli, there are some significant vibrations. I also suggest change the log_bitmask to 131071 on this heli and then addressing the vibration issues before trying to tune it.

Regards,
Bill

Thanks Bill for taking time - i’m learning every time i interact with you. I will try to isolate the vibrations and re-test with the LOG setting you mentioned. Could you kindly help me with using the log-analysis in MP, how do i plot the Roll and DesRoll against time for example? I couldn’t figure after loading the binary file. Here’s what I see. I;m not sure how to select the datasets from the table below to plot the graph

The fc is right now over the the antirotation bracket just over the tail-boom holder box with soft foam tape - you have any suggestions for a better place/method on the 450 pro?

Thanks again.
-Satish

See the panel on the right side of the graph. Those are all of the messages(data) that are saved to the Dataflash log. ATT is the attitude controller data, RATE is the rate controller data. So if you expand the message by hitting the “+” beside it, it will show all of the data available to plot for that message. Click the check box beside the data you want to view on the graph.

I have tried that, i only see a bar/line, i don’t get the plot/graph for the entire flight time, so i guess i’m missing selecting something here?

Regards,
-Satish

Ok, i un-checked “Use-Time” checkbox and i seem to get it now, this is ok?

Regards,
-Satish

That is odd. I am pretty sure I have looked at you logs and didn’t have any issues with time. You may want to upgrade your version of MP. Looks like you are using 1.3.63 and we are not up to 1.3.72 l think.

Hello Bill,

HELI-2 (450, FlyBar) - had some time to make some adjustments to isolate vibes, and a test flight, felt a lot better, very little roll-oscillations, just occational tail jerks, otherwise it’s flyable for now. Above i have attached the log. I will try to get rid of the little vibes, but have to wait another week for some parts to come.

There was a slight left-roll drifting on this as well (just like my HELI-1 450 PRO FBL) - can i set the ATC_RAT_PIT_ILMI and ATC_RAT_RLL_ILMI to 0.08 on this as well?

Let me know your insights from the log, what i should be looking at next in the log and what to make of it.

Best Regards,
-Satish

and here’s log for the HELI-1

No changes, just tried to remount the FC away from vibrations as far as i could/allowed with parts I currently have. Flies well, just a bit loose tail hold.

Let me know what you think of the vibrations - i did set the bitmask as you mentined.

Regards,
-Satish

Hello Bill,

from the log i have here, could you guide me how to plot the rotor speed.
And I don’t see FTx data in the tree on the right side to plot FFT to analyze, something i need to do before that?

Regards,
-Satish

Hi Satish,
In this thread bill had explained nicely.

Thanks everyone,
After some re-assembly (of my 450 fbl) and removing some mechanical slop, i had a good run, the heli seemed quite stable. I don’t think i can go any more on removing vibrations on this kit as it’s a clone kit. I checked the Rate.R and added a 44hz to the notch-filter setting. After that it felt even more stable in flight with no/gentle breeze. Kindly look at the log and please let me know if this is good enough to move to PID tuning as i’m still flying with defaults and ATC_HOVR_ROLL_TRM of 400. or are the defaults good enough.

I’m on latest firmware version and still flying heli rsc throttle curve mode.

Best regards
satish

Hi sir my self vijay Kumar from bengalore I want contact you can share email I’d please

Sir can you contact me please vijaykumarmatha153@gmail.com please sir