No satellites found, how to determine which unit is broken

Hi,

Had a small tip over incident yesterday while landing in windy conditions. My GPS mast broke. Nothing big and had it fixed today, To my surprise I can’t get a GPS lock after the incident. The uBlox blue GPS led is flashing as it is locked but in apmplanner2 I can see that GPS HDOOP is 0.00 and satellites_visible is 0.00 and Pixhawk main led is flashing blue. I don’t know the exact meaning of GPS heading but that value is not zero and if I rotate the GPS that value changes so that parameter seems to work.

If I connect with apmplanners terminal and run the GPS test it only prints dots even though the uBlox GPS led is flashing blue… The compass is working.

My question is, how do I determine which unit it is that is broken? Seems like the GPS is working since it is flashing blue and unfortunately to me it seems like I somehow have broken the Pixhawk GPS df13 connection fitting…

I haven’t opened my Pixhawk I guess that’s my next step. If broken maybe I can solder the GPS fitting back. Or are there any easy replace df13 fitting on the pixhawk!?

All help/suggestions appreciated.

BR Mathias

@kahoona,
Since the GPS module is displaying the blinking blue led it is obviously still functional and has obtained a 3D lock.
Your problem probably lies with the 6 wire cable that connects the GPS to the Pixhawk.
You might try replacing the cable with a new one to see if that corrects your issue.
Regards,
TCIII GM

[quote=“TCIII”]@kahoona,
Since the GPS module is displaying the blinking blue led it is obviously still functional and has obtained a 3D lock.
Your problem probably lies with the 6 wire cable that connects the GPS to the Pixhawk.
You might try replacing the cable with a new one to see if that corrects your issue.
Regards,
TCIII GM[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I switched the cable prior to posting and had the same experience.

But how can I reliably tell if the Pixhawk sees the GPS? I’m on linux and connected throw apmplanner. On the flight data screen I add the column for GPS fix, that reading is 0.00. Is zero equal to NO GPS visible? What I’m after here is to narrow down the faulty unit. At the moment it looks like the GPS socket on my Pixhawk is broken? Are they so sensitive, the mount looks intact from the outside.

[quote=“TCIII”]@kahoona,
Regards,
TCIII GM[/quote]

O.K I found the faulty part. The GPS socket on my Pixhawk is loose. Pressing down on it and slightly forward(Pixhawk forward dir) and instant GPS lock… Stop pressing down and instant los of GPS lock.

These sockets seems VERY fragile if they can break this easily. I wonder how to fix this!? Soldering, buy a new unit? Are these sockets easy replaced?

-Mathias