No GPS. H743 Wing V3 and a uBlox F9P

Hi Guys. Complete beginner here, sorry.

I have a uBlox F9P GPS configured to send out NMEA data on Tx1, which I have connected to Rx3 on the H743. In Mission Planner, I get No GPS.

On the uBlox GPS setup, should I be sending NMEA, RTCM3X, or both?
In Mission Planner, I have set up SERIAL3_OPTIONS to 0, and SERIAL3-PROTOCOL to 5. Both baud rates are the same. GPS_TYPE is 1 ( Auto ).

What have I missed? Its for a rover.

Thanks
Glenn

Reset to defaults in uCenter, save, and close.

Use auto configure (GPS_AUTO_CFG=1) and never open uCenter again.

But you likely have a wiring issue. Make sure GPS TX is connected to autopilot RX and vice versa.

1 Like

I’ve set up that uBlox to get RTK corrections from another uBlox at a fixed station, thats all working so dont want to clear all that setup out.
Checked the wiring with a cro, definitely getting serial data from the uBlox to Rx3 on the H743.

How are you getting RTCM3? Depending on how that’s being done, you can still let ArduPilot manage the config.

I promise it’s far easier to get the hell out of uCenter and let ArduPilot do the heavy lifting.

I’m afraid I probably lack the patience to attempt to talk another user through manual configuration.

Unfortunately it seams there is no easy way to reset the F9P to factory settings.
Couple of questions. I’ve read the FC will only try to read the GPS on startup, so I would need to power down/up after each change to see if it works? And is there a way to see if the FC can see data, any date, on a serial input?
My mission this weekend was to get at least the GPS working on this thing.

The rightmost gear icon in u-Center is a reset to defaults (appears in color when connected):

Yes, you need to reboot after making changes.

Thanks.

OK, reset the uBlox to defaults, and also reset the FC to defaults in Mission Planner.

On serial RX pin on the FC I see a burst of serial data every second. 5v peak to peak, clean data. It is held high between bursts.

In Mission Planner
GPS_AUTO_CONFIG = 1
GPS_TYPE = 1
SERIAL3_BAUD = 38 ( Same as the uBLox )
SERIAL3_OPTIONS = 0

Is there anything else I should be looking for? Is there something that would stop the FC from even attempting to look for GPS data?

Glenn

Has anyone managed to get a Matek H743 working with a uBlox F9P ?

Take a look at my blog post on how to methodically tune any multicopter using ArduCopter 4.4.x . I use a matek h473 slim and a f9p as an example

Yes, it’s a very common configuration. I’ve used probably a dozen F9P modules on various vehicles with any number of H743 based autopilots, including those from Matek. They work first time, every time when wired and configured correctly.

Autopilot pin numbering can be confusing. The reasons for this are many and varied, but the short story is that it provides continuity in hardware definitions, pin grouping/capability, and/or wiring diagrams across many products, and manufacturers are not bound to silkscreen label standards on their PCBs.

This is from Matek’s product page:

So, if you have the GPS soldered to TX3/RX3, you need to be using SERIAL4 parameters. If that is the case set the following:

SERIAL3_PROTOCOL=-1
SERIAL4_PROTOCOL=5
SERIAL4_OPTIONS=0

Leave the rest of the parameters at their defaults. The baud rate parameters are irrelevant - ArduPilot auto detects the data rate for GPS modules.

In Matek’s defense, their own wiring diagram shows a uBlox GPS connected to TX2/RX2, which works perfectly on the default parameters, and they explicitly list the ArduPilot pin mapping on their product page.

Bingo!

Yep I was assuming TX3/RX3 were Serial 3.

Thank you for your help, really appreciated.

Glenn

1 Like

Now, so long as your RTCM3 source is compatible with the preconfigured UART2 baud rate on the F9P, you’re good to go.

EDIT: A quick browse through the source code seems to indicate that if you aren’t using a moving baseline configuration (GPS for yaw), auto configuration won’t touch the F9P’s UART2, so you can set that however you need in uCenter for the RTCM3 config that you’re using. Don’t hold me to that as hard fact, but I don’t see anything to indicate otherwise.

sounds like you are sorted.
Ardusimple simplertk2b is excellent - but one of the UART connections has the labelling for TX and RX swapped TX2 and RX2 from memory - something to do with the XBEE wiring.

Mission planner if you are using it, does a great job of sending correction data from a number of sources.