No ESC telemetry on T-Motor F35A

Hello all,
I’m trying to build a wing using a Speedybee F405Wing and a T-Motor F35A. I have gotten most things to work except the ESC telemetry. I’ve tried everything to my knowledge (which isn’t much since I’m new to anything ArduPilot) and I’ve been though many threads that discuss ESC telemetry but nothing works.

Do any of you know what I’m missing of could try?

Speedybee F405Wing & T-Motor F35A.param (19.2 KB)

Man those Flight Controllers generate a lot of traffic on the forum.

The default configuration in the ESC firmware is good, nothing to change there.
I see you have configured on Serial5 so you are connected on the DJI connector? Did you try connecting to Serial4 and configuring that instead?

According to this thread SpeedyBee F405 Wing NO ESC TELEMETRY, the Speedybee F405 Wing seems to have a chronic problem with ESC telemetry…

Try the 4.6.0-dev version then? These things are more trouble than they are worth even at $40.

I have indeed tried to use other UARTs without succes…
I get why there is a lot of traffic, it has been anything but plug-and-play. Setting up everything took me a long time to troubleshoot why it didn’t work. But hey, the more I prod around, the more i learn :wink:

So, what i get from the other thread is that loading the custom hwdef file could fix the problem. But when I look in the hwdef in AP_HAL_ChibiOS: use standard FPV config for SpeedyBeeF405WING I see that HAL_WITH_ESC_TELEM is still set to 0, not like Pedro_Claro did and set it to 1. Is this right?

I thought you just had to use the Custom Firmware Builder. But V4.6.0-dev already has it enabled:

Tele

Ah yes, finally have telemetry! Updated to 4.6.0 and I get volts, amps and temp. Just some calibration needed.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

You will want to update fairly regularly with a dev version. New things are added, tested by a few and changes made often.

I’m still having a few problems. So after looking into it a little further, a have voltage, RPM and Temperature. RPM seems to be correct, Temp is a couple degrees to high but no problem, voltage is way to low with 8.5v on a 4s lipo and then there is no current. I’ts just sitting on 0A.

I tried adjusting the voltage divider in the battery monitor 2 tab but it gives a “invalid number entered” error. I also noticed that the BATT_VOLT_MULT, BATT_AMP_PERVLT and a couple more parameters are not available for BATT2 that are available for BATT.

My parameters are still the same as the previously send ones.

If Bat Mon 2 is ESC telemetry you can’t set those parameters.

Ok, is it just in BATT mon that these settings can be visible? I changed BATT mon to ESC and those settings are still not available…

Can I try anything to to get my current to show up?

Back to basics. You have the analog current sensor pin on the ESC connected to the FC Current pin?
From the manual:
ADC

Set Batt Monitor 1 to 4 (disable monitor 2 for now):

From here: Speedybee F405 Wing
Battery Monitor Configuration
*These settings are set as defaults when the firmware is loaded (except BATT_AMP_PERVLT which needs to be changed from the default value). *
However, if they are ever lost, you can manually set the parameters:
Enable Battery monitor.
BATT_MONITOR =4
Then reboot.
BATT_VOLT_PIN 10
BATT_CURR_PIN 11
BATT_VOLT_MULT 11.05
BATT_AMP_PERVLT 50

The F35A is an individual ESC, there is no analog current sensor pin, it reports current via the telemetry wire.

I think you’d want BATT_MONITOR set to 9, with SERIALx_PROTOCOL (fwhere X is the serial port that the ESC telemetry wire is connected to) set to 16.

See ESC Telemetry — Copter documentation for details.

Also, be aware that some ESCs just don’t handle telemetry properly even though they’re supposed to…

Ah right, a single. Looks like there are a couple different ones. One clearly has a shunt resistor and a T pad but another has neither. Hopefully you don’t have this one:
F35A

I have one very similar:

This one also has a shunt resistor and a T pad, which is connected to UART4.

OK, sorry for the misdirection regarding a 4-in-1 as Chris correctly pointed out. Not sure then why no current data.

So Chris you were right. The T-motor F35A just doesn’t work for current sensing, at least not with the Speedybee FC. I stole an ESC from my race quad, a Holybro Tekko32 F3 35A and this one has all values displayed, the correct voltage and current included.

Lets also go over why I wanted the ESC current in the first place because the FC also has a current sensor. The current sensor on the Speedybee is the worst to work with. Whatever you do to calibrate it, its either way of on the lower amps or way of on the higher amps. Probably because it can handle 120A and I’m only pulling 40A peaks with constant more around 15A.
So for anyone finding this tread, keep that in mind.

Anyway I,ll go find another ESC now. Thanks for the help!

The only way to calibrate ESC Telemetry current that I know of is if you have one with current sense calibration in firmware:
ESC

But it’s a 4-in-1

Yes the Holybro has it in the BLHeli Suite. But i’m going to get a 45A ESC or something in that range. For my setup the 35A ESC was a little bit under powered.

Holybro has a 45A Tekko single.