No ESC Telemetry from a Lumenier Micro Razor 4in1 20x20 BLHeli_32 Rev 32.7 (Solved)

Help, please.
I cannot get ESC Telemetry from my Lumenier Micro Razor 4in1 20x20 BLHeli_32 using Mission Planner. I don’t see ESC RPM output on Mission Planner Dataflash logs or anywhere else. I have tried numerous configurations and read through all of the articles that I can find, but I can not get this figured out.

Q. Is it possible to get ESC Telemetry from a Lumenier Micro Razor 4in1 20x20 BLHeli_32 Rev 32.7?
Q. How can I view ESC RPM on Mission Planner DataFlash Logs? Is it under a different parameter? Should it just show up if I have the parameters set up, even if the ESC Telemetry isn’t working correctly?
Q. Should escx_rpm on Mission Planner Status window update regularly?

Setup:
MRO Control Zero H7
Arducopter v4.5.4
Lumenier Micro Razor 4in1 20x20 BLHeli_32 Rev32.7
Mission Planner: 1.3.81

ESC Telemetry wire connected to UART7 RX (Serial 5). The wire checks good with a multimeter.

Some Parameter settings:
LOG_BITMASK,65535 (trying to capture all log data)

SERVO_BLH_3DMASK,0
SERVO_BLH_AUTO,1
SERVO_BLH_DEBUG,1
SERVO_BLH_MASK,0
SERVO_BLH_OTYPE,0
SERVO_BLH_POLES,14
SERVO_BLH_PORT,0
SERVO_BLH_RVMASK,0
SERVO_BLH_TEST,0
SERVO_BLH_TMOUT,0
SERVO_BLH_TRATE,50

SERIAL5_BAUD,115
SERIAL5_OPTIONS,0
SERIAL5_PROTOCOL,16

Things I have tried:
BELHeliSuite32 Auto_Telemetry: OFF & ON - no difference
Moving ESC Telemetry to Serial 6 RX - no difference
Changing LOG_BITMASK from 176126 to 65535 for full logging
Powering the quad and arming so that the motors spin - no indication of ESC RPM
Setting SERIAL5_PROTOCOL to invert RX, half duplex, pull up, pull down - no difference

SERVO_BLH_AUTO works fine and I can connect to the esc and read and write parameters.

When connected via USB, I get ESC:Bad CRC on 0; ESC:Bad CRC on 1; ESC:Bad CRC on 2; ESC:Bad CRC on 3 in various orders in the Messages Window of Mission Planner. I also get Bad CRC message on FrSky X9D using Yaapu telemetry.

If I leave everything powered and connected, then sometimes escx_temp & escx_volt will populate, but they don’t update. escx_rpm has never populated for any motor, even when armed and motors spinning.

The quad flies fine and I haven’t had any other problems. I have TBS Crossfire as my RC link & my telemetry link and it all appears to work fine. This is the last frustrating bit for me as I’m hoping to move on to harmonic notch filtering and auto-tuning.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2024_07_06_QUAD.param (18.3 KB)

I’m on my phone, so just a quick reply, but version 32.7+ supports BDshot, so I would go that route instead of serial telemetry. You’ll need to flash a different firmware to your FC for this though.

Try setting SERVO_BLH_TRATE,10.

I woukd suggest flashing the Bdshot version of Arducopter and configure for Bdshot and troubleshoot from that point. It’s a much RPM better reference for the notch filter. If you need serial telemetry for something figure it out next.

Thanks everyone! I am very happy to report I now have RPM from each motor and can move forward in the tuning process. I was hesitant to try upgrading to bi-directional dshot because I wasn’t sure if the board/esc would support it. I am very happy to say that they do, and it seems to work flawlessly. 3 days of frustration trying to get ESC telemetry to work and only 5-minutes of effort to get bi-directional dshot to work.

3 Likes