NMEA out only for 1min

dear friends,
with my test copter im testing a little bit the new firmware 4.0.
I was really happy when I found out that suddenly with this new firmware I get an NMEA out on a serial port

Serial2_Protocol: 20

when i look at the strings in putty I find out that they are only running for excactly 58sec. Then it stopps and Serial2 seems to be totally dead.

Has anyone got an Idea why it is like that?

Regards
Stefan

Has anyone got an Idea why it is like that?

Yep, there’s a bug :slight_smile:

This should fix it: AP_NMEA_Output: correct 10Hz rate limiting by peterbarker · Pull Request #12915 · ArduPilot/ardupilot · GitHub

Would be great tf you can test that PR!

Stefan

Peter

shame on me… i can build, adjust, fly copters, rovers, boats but when it comes to all this Git stuff I´m at the Moment unfortunatly out.
But, because I learn and enjoy so much the last years about this “projekt” thats gonna be my next level!

wonderful, I just test the new beta version firmware and it is running stabil!!
Thanks for that.

The next question is, if im correcting the Position with the Here+ RTK what Position do I get from the NMEA out?

Besides from that i flow the new firmware today for about 5 hours in all Modes. No Problems, totally stabil. Fantastic.

Thanks!

The next question is, if im correcting the Position with the Here+ RTK what Position do I get from the NMEA out?

You get the vehicle’s canonical position; an integration of input from the
GPS, accelerometers, barometers, rangefinders etc etc.

Besides from that i flow the new firmware today for about 5 hours in all Modes. No Problems, totally stabil. Fantastic.

Great!

Thanks!

Yours,

This fix will be included in Copter-4.0.0-rc3. Thanks for the report and follow-up!

I wonder if this was the same issue I was having with nmea our on my plane 4.0 setup. Also my tracker that it was hooked to was only showing 6 satellites even when I had at least 12 locked.

@sparkyincali, this would only affect the NMEA output which is mentioned on this wiki page. It’s not related to NMEA input from a GPS so this problem wouldn’t cause a NMEA GPS to report fewer satellites than expected.

Yes that is what I was referring to is using option 20 on a serial port. My flight controller is being fed by a ubx gps and I was trying to use the nmea output to feed into a myflydream telefly tiny so it could encode the tracking data into the video stream.

1 Like

@sparkyincali, OK great. Hopefully you’ll find the NMEA output is all fixed in Copter-4.0.0-rc3 which is available for beta testing now.

1 Like

Unfortunately I am using plane but wondering if it’s the same code for this feature and affecting it the same way.